Too Familiar

Izuku Midoriya

"Kacchan!"

It felt like I had finally wrangled the fog away, clawing my way to consciousness to stop Kacchan from leaving me...but I'm not on the ground anymore. And Kacchan isn't here...how long has it been?

"Welcome back," Mom was in a chair close to the wall. Suddenly I realized where I was, the scent of the hospital was scarily familiar as it invaded my senses and a creeping feeling made its way up my throat. Mom stood up to put the back of her hand to my forehead and I leaned into the touch, "They promised me you'd return to normal but I was still worried."

The heat from mom's hand made me feel safe but it reminded me of how physical Kacchan's love language has been for the past two days, well, the past two days of my consciousness at least. I took a deep breath to prepare myself to address the elephant in the room, "Where's Kacchan? Or...what happened to Kacchan? He's not..."

"No, he's not dead," Mom replied. The feeling in my throat subsided a little bit but in its place, a weird lump-like sensation manifested, "But..." Mom began before pausing. She slid her hand over mine and I knew this wasn't going to be good news, "Katsuki was abducted. In exchange for the antidote for the poison the villain injected into you, he went with the League of Villains. But don't worry, the Hero Commission is putting together a rescue mission right now. I hear All Might is joining the team."

Mom doesn't know about him, All Might. Should I tell her? She looks like she's trying to cheer me up with All Might like she has since I was a child. I tried to smile but it was so much to process. I feel like a string inside of my heart broke in two as I remembered everything in a rush.

I stared at my knees to try and control the burning feeling behind my eyes, everything just sucks. My vision was blurring and I pushed the back of my hands into my sockets to try and push the tears back, "Oh Izu." Mom pulled me into her shoulder and I let her squeeze me without resistance. The air in my lungs isn't enough but it also feels like it's choking me. Like waves and waves of muck that wouldn't let me breathe. I can't get enough air but air burns too. I've felt this way before but I guess it was more literal then.

It's everything, All Might, Kacchan, Shinsou, all of it. It all sucks and hurts so much and every time I take a step forward the world pulls me two steps back. I can't do anything, I'm so useless, I'm a burden, I'm the reason Kacchan got kidnapped. I'm the reason Kacchan isn't here, I'm the reason Kacchan is hurting right now. I miss him so much.

"Some of your friends visited," I could tell mom was trying to distract me. I tried to hum but it turned into another strangled sound. Mom cooed softly and I pulled her closer, in the end, she's all I really have. The only constant in my life. Mom continued to pet my hair, "A kid named Iida left mochi. It's strawberry."

I felt my lips tug a little bit as I remembered how Iida vowed to remember that mochi was my favorite dessert. I want to be friends with Iida but we barely talk, it's hard to maintain so many friendships. I'm not used to it. Nobody's ever wanted to be my friend growing up, nobody except Kacchan of course.

"Do you want me to tell your friends that you're awake?" Mom asked. I nodded knowing that having people around was the best for situations like this. I wanted to stop feeling so alone.

Mom's heat left and I opened my eyes finally. My vision was so hazy I couldn't make out what was happening for a moment but it cleared. She was texting on her phone which was plugged in on the window sill, I guess she's texting Mr. Aizawa so he can tell his students or something. It's not like she has all of my friends' numbers.