Izuku's Thoughts

Izuku Midoriya

Kacchan and I stayed out late after our meeting by the creek. The air felt heavy and the sky looked like it was infinite by the time we decided to head home. I always feel oddly nostalgic in the time between day and night when humidity spikes and everything seems...livelier. The sky always looked the most alive with an explosion of colors, the sky during sunset always takes my breath away. It's a nice feeling but it also makes my heart feel oddly heavy, just a small tinge of sadness within the ocean of oddly familiar emotions.

Kacchan walked me home as the street lights flickered on, he usually walked me home though. I could tell the seasons were changing because the cicadas aren't as loud as they are in the warmer months. Eventually, we turned the corner to my house and I felt my heart skip a beat, "Hey that's..." I stared at the yellow car in my driveway and looked at Kacchan, "Mr. Yagi's here."

Kacchan grinned a grin so huge his spiky teeth could be seen, "Well why don't you go say hi?" He seemed happy. Kacchan wants Mr. Yagi and me to get along or something but I don't know why. Why does it interest him? I just assume it's because he wants me to have a father-figure kind of person in my life but it's not that simple. I think I rushed into seeing Mr. Yagi as a father and in the end, it hurt more than it helped.

When I think about Mr. Yagi my throat feels like it's closing and my feet become heavy. He was there for mom and me until I was in the hospital, then he just vanished. Was it too much of a burden? I don't know, did I do something wrong? Does he not like me anymore? I have so many questions but I can't ask them. I sighed and Kacchan patted my back, "Just go." He said, "Nothing will happen if you ignore him."

"Yeah," I balled my hands up until I could feel the tips of my nails on my palms and then slowly released the tension, "Okay I guess I'll go and see what's up. Goodnight, Kacchan." I patted his arm awkwardly and he gave me a light shove towards my house. I was scared but Kacchan was right, I should get it over with. Problems don't fix themselves.

"Izuku," Mom greeted me when I entered, she was seated on the couch with some late-night TV on. She smiled contently as I closed and locked the door, "Welcome back. Did you and Katsuki have a good day?" She was good at being interested in what I did even if it was boring. Is she faking interest? I don't know. I'd like to believe Mom wouldn't try to trick me even if it was to spare my feelings.

"Yeah," I looked around but Mr. Yagi wasn't in the living room with her, "I need to talk to you later, Mom, but I thought Mr. Yagi was here?" He usually wears a cologne when he's with Mom but I couldn't smell it, "I saw his car outside in the driveway."

Mom nodded, "He's in the bathroom. Did you want to talk to him too?" I don't know if she's just hiding how she feels but how could Mom just be okay? Maybe it's different for her, but it feels like Mr. Yagi didn't want anything to do with me or my illness and that's why he disappeared. I got injured and he hasn't visited since it's too convenient for it to be a coincidence.

"No," What I want to tell Mom isn't something I'd feel comfortable telling Mr. Yagi. I heard the toilet flush and sighed again, "I'm going to my room." Mom almost protested but I left as quickly as I could so she wouldn't have the chance. I've wanted to see him for a long time now but...it's different now.

I made sure to shut and lock my bedroom door as soon as I entered so neither of them could sneak in. Though, I guess mom could if she tried with her quirk. I don't know if she could turn a lock using her quick, has she ever tried it? I should make a note in my notebook to test later.

I turned on my computer as I walked in, I want it to start booting up since it takes forever to do so. I heard the fan start on the computer and turned, flopping face-first onto my bed so I could lay down for a moment.