32. Different Man

Arabella was no stranger to what anger could make a person do.

But as she looked at Giovanni as he untied her hands, she grew afraid of him in that moment. She didn't think he'd do anything to hurt her, but she was simply astonished by the sheer amount of unadulterated rage she had just witnessed from the man.

And maybe—with the right amount of force—he could hurt her too. And not hurt her in the way that caused her pleasure, hurt her in the way that would leave a mark, trauma, hurt her and not feel bad afterwards.

Giovanni held his hand out to her, but Arabella ignored it and stood on her own, holding onto her biceps, crossing her arms across her chest, protecting herself.

His eyes looked different now. She could still see anger and homicide, she couldn't see his soul through his eyes anymore. It was like something clicked in his head, it was like he had turned into the Devil himself.

"Are you okay, doll?" He grumbled out, watching her intently. Arabella nodded, avoiding his eyes. And when he took the back of her neck and pulled her into him, Arabella could feel how hot his hands were, how scarred and dirty with blood from his victims.

She bled through his veins, dulling the anger with only her skin against his. His touch almost made her uncomfortable. Nauseous. She wanted to pull away so he couldn't taint her with his anger or his murder.

His chin rested ontop of her head and for a moment, there was peace amongst everything. Amongst the lions and the deer, amongst the creatures of the land and the creatures of the sky.

"I'm sorry, my love," He whispered.

Arabella was pale, and cold and stiff against him, like a pole. Giovanni expected her to act like she was, but he didn't expect her to push his away by his chest, pushing past him as she followed behind Enzo, not a word said to the man.

Pain flashed across his skins but he swiftly ignored it, telling himself she was still in shock.

They loaded into the car, Arabella sitting in the backseat and Enzo in thr passenger, silence thick in the air around him. Giovanni looked at Arabella through the mirror and she was looking out of the window, her bottom lip pulled between her teeth. Her knees were bended and she clutched her legs to her chest, swaying slightly.

"What's next?" Enzo asked, looking over at Giovanni.

"Word will spread and we'll be hunted for a while, be vigilant, Enzo. They could be anywhere, at anytime, capito?"

"Sí, capo," He replied stiffly, looking through the window as Giovanni swerved onto the road.

The drive was silent, the only sound being heard was Giovanni grinding his teeth softly, anger slowly seeping out of his veins. He dropped Enzo off first, and then he made his way towards Arabella's apartment building.

He parked in front of the building, turning his car off and turning to face the girl. She hadn't moved an inch, hadn't said anything, nothing. It was like she was just a vessel, her mind wasn't in her body anymore, it was left in the warehouse.

"Do you need me to come up with you?" Giovanni asked. Only then did Arabella look at him. He could almost hear her deciding on an answer in her brain.

Then came the soft, "Yes," And Giovanni pushed open his door, making his way to her side. He opened the door for her and she slipped out of the car, making her way towards the building.