Chapter 36 | Sneaking in!

Sherlock, Easton and John take the car to Baskerville, Sherlock still driving, John in the passenger seat and Easton in the back. As they approach the complex, Sherlock observes that there are very many military personnel guarding the place, walking the perimeter, etc...

He drives up to the gates and a military security guard holding a rifle raises a hand. As Sherlock stops the jeep, the man walks around to the driver's window. Easton has a tight knot in his chest of anxiety....

"Pass, please." The guard says. Sherlock reaches into his coat pocket and hands him a pass. The guard walks away with the pass. At the front of the vehicle, another security man encourages a sniffer dog to check the jeep, presumably for explosives.

"You've got ID for Baskerville. How?" John asks Sherlock in a whisper

Sherlock whispers back, "It's not specific to this place. It's my brother's. Access all areas. I, um... Acquired it ages ago, just in case."

The security guard swipes Sherlock's pass through a reader at the gate room. The screen shows a fairly small photograph of Mycroft and names the card holder as Mycroft Holmes, giving him Unlimited Access and showing his security status as 'Secure (No Threat)'.

"Brilliant.." John whispers. Easton looks at John.

"What's the matter?" He asks.

"We'll get caught." John says. 

"No we won't--  well, not just yet." Sherlock says.

"Caught in five minutes. "Oh, hi, we just thought we'd come and have a wander round your top secret weapons base." "Really? Great! Come in – kettle's just boiled." That's if we don't get shot." John says, Easton tries to stay clam, but his heart was beating super fast.

The gates begin to slide open as the security guard comes back over to the car. The guard says that we are clear! Easton sighs in relief..

Sherlock puts the car in gear and eases the vehicle forward.

"Mycroft's name literally opens doors!" John says after looking at the ID.

"I've told you! He practically is the British government. I reckon we've got about twenty minutes before they realise something's wrong." Sherlock says.

Sherlock drives up to the main complex at Baskerville, parks the car and he, Easton and John get out. Another soldier leads them through barriers and towards an entrance to the main building. Sherlock nudges Easton slightly, "You don't speak English." He whispered, Easton nodded his head..

As they walk, Sherlock looks around at all the military men patrolling the area, many of them armed. Even the scientists in lab coats are being escorted. As they approach the entrance, a military jeep pulls up and a young corporal gets out.

"What is it? Are we in trouble?" The man asks but pauses. Nevertheless, he steps in front of them and holds out his hands to prevent them getting nearer to the entrance.

"You were expecting us?" Sherlock asks.

"Your ID showed up straight away, Mr Holmes. Corporal Lyons, security. Is  there something wrong, sir?" The man, Lyons, asks.

"Well, I hope not, Corporal, I hope not." Sherlock says.

"It's just we don't get inspected here, you see, sir. It just doesn't happen."

"Ever heard of a spot check?" John asks and he takes a small wallet from his pocket and shows the ID inside to the corporal, "Captain John Watson, Fifth Northumberland Fusiliers."

Even before he finishes speaking, the corporal comes to attention and salutes. John crisply returns the salute.

"Sir. Major Barrymore won't be pleased, sir. He'll want to see you both--" Lyons looks at Easton, Easton panics as he slowly take out his ID. After he read it, he looked at Easton, "Well nice to meet you, Mr. Parker."