Chapter 47 | Hansel and Gretel

//I know it's been since October since the last update, I apologize <3\\

Wearing her lab coat, Molly pushes her way through the door into Sherlock's favorite lab weighed down by the huge pile of books and files she is carrying. As she staggers into the room, Sherlock is sitting at the bench in front of a microscope.

John is standing at the other side of the bench. Easton was sitting on a stool, closest to John, reading a file.

"The oil in the kidnapper's footprint, it'll lead us to Moriarty." Sherlock says while he drops the sample into a test tube which has some liquid in the bottom.

The fluid begins to fizz. He suctions up some of the liquid and drops it onto a slide.

"All the chemical traces on his shoe have been preserved. The sole of the shoe is like a passport. If we're lucky we can see everything that he's been up to." He says and looks at the slide under the microscope. Time passes and we see brief extracts of the work which he and Molly are doing. She puts on latex gloves, "I need that analysis."

Molly squeezes some liquid into a glass dish and applies some Litmus paper to it. The paper turns blue.

"Alkaline." She says and turns away. Sherlock has found the first component in the mixture of items and makes a note of it:

1. Chalk

He takes another sample and dissolves it. The results reveal another item:

2. Asphalt

Dissolving another sample into a dish:

3. Brick Dust

And another sample dissolved and heated over a Bunsen burner:

4. Vegetation

Later, he has another sample on a slide and is looking at it in the microscope. He quietly murmurs to himself.

"I... owe... you." He says softly.

He turns his head and looks at a nearby computer screen.

"Glycerol molecule." He sighs heavily as he struggles to identify the item, seeing it in his head as:

5. ?????

He then says softly, "What are you?"

He looks into the microscope again as Molly stands beside him typing onto a laptop.

"What did you mean, "I owe you"?" Molly asks him.

John walks across the lab on the other side of the bench. Sherlock raises his eyes from the microscope and watches him crossing the room. Easton listens in, not looking up.

"You said, "I owe you." You were muttering it while you were working." Molly says.

Looking into the 'scope again, Sherlock says, "Nothing. Mental note."

Molly looks at him.

"You're a bit like my dad. He's dead."
She closes her eyes, embarrassed. ((A/N I love her lmao)), "No, sorry."

"Molly, please don't feel the need to make conversation. It's really not your area." Molly cringes a little but continues.

"When he was... dying, he was always cheerful; he was lovely' except when he thought no-one could see. I saw him once. He looked sad."

"Molly..." Sherlock says sternly. Easton finished reading the file and stood up, leaving the lab to find more to read.

"You look sad..." Molly continues, she glances towards Easton just as he opened the door to walk out, "... When you think he can't see you.."