Chapter 9 ~ Blind Banker (Pt. 3)

(Easton's POV)

Another murder happened, it was the same as Van Coon, shot dead in his apartment. Door locked and windows bolted from the inside.

We went to go check it out ourselves, after getting permission to go inside the mans flat. The man that was murdered was Brian Lukis, who was a journalist.

We walked up the stairs, and inside the crime scene. There are mountains of books, some were travel books, time spent in south-east Asia. Tucked beside them is an A to Z of London.

In the corner of the room was an open suitcase that was empty, unzipped and recently used.

I looked over at the dead man’s desk. Pages and pages of handwritten notes and books on South-East Asian politics. Lukis was clearly researching an article. I see Sherlock looking out of the window.

"Fourth floor. That’s why they think
they’re safe." He said to himself, "Put the chain on the door, bolt it shut. They think they’re impregnable..."

I thought and looked around, then went up to Sherlcok, "They never consider for a moment, there’s another way in here." I said to him.

We looked around for a little more, trying to figure out how the killer got inside, but it didn't make any sense... We couldn't find anything..

//time skip\\

We left the flat a few minutes ago, and John and I were following Sherlock, who needed to speak to an art expert. We walk towards the National Gallery. But then Sherlock moves
down in a side alley, back of the National Gallery.

I knew who we were,meeting up with, his name was Raz, who is a nineteen year-old skateboard punk. Him and I used be close, until he tried to pick a fist fight with me one night, but Sherlock was there to stop it.

He has a kit bag at his feet and an
aerosol can in hand. He sprays a stencil on to the rear wall of the gallery. Raz knows Sherlock and I is there, walking towards him, without even turning.

"Part of my new exhibition." He says, continuing to spray his can on the wall.

"Interesting." I say, smiling.

"I call it ‘Urbanbloodlustfrenzy.’" Raz said, laughing a little and glancing at me.

"Mm, Catchy." I say.

"I got two minutes before a
Community Support Officer comes 'round that corner. Can we maybe talk while I’m working?" He said.

Sherlock then offers him his phone. Raz hands the spray can to John so he can look. He looks through the photographs. The images from the bank and the library we went to.

"Know the author?" Sherlock asked.

"I know the paint. Looks like Michigan, hardcore propellant. I’d say zinc." Raz replied.

"And what about the symbols? Do you recognise them?" I asked, burying my hands in my pockets.

"It’s not a tag. I’m not even sure it’s a proper language." He said.

"Two men have been murdered, Raz.
Deciphering this, it’s the key to finding who killed them." I said to him,

"This is all you got? Not much to go on, East--" Raz was about to get close to me, I know he still wants to fight, I dont know why he doesn't like me anymore.

Sherlock stops him from getting close to me, and Sherlock steps up, slightly in front of me, "Are you gonna help us or not?" He asked.

"I can ask around." Raz said, sighing a little.

"Someone must know about it." Sherlock said. Two Community Support Officers appear around the corner.

"OI!" One of them shout out.

The officers come running. Raz kicks the kit bag along the floor. It is now at John's feet.

Raz books off and Sherlock grabs my hand, dragging me away by running behind Raz. Then I realized Sherlock and I left John behind, "Sherlock!" I said.

Sherlock ignored me and kept running.

//time skip\\

Sherlock and I made it back home, I grabbed him before he could do anything, "The hell Sherlock!?" I shouted slightly.

"What?" He asked.

"We left John behind!" I said, Sherlock seemed to have ignored me as he examined me. I blushed a little, thinking I have something on my face or something, "What?" I asked, touching my face.

Sherlock grabbed my hand, "It's nothing, Easton. You look tired." He said, then lets go of me, "Make yourself some tea or something while do this."

"Do what?" I asked.

"You'll see."

It has now been a few hours. Sherlock has made a collage, pages and pages printed off the internet, language systems and archaic symbols.

Egyptian hieroglyphics, the Greek alphabet, Hebrew letters, Arabic letters, and Chinese words. He’s stuck them all around the edge of the mirror, trying to find a match for the strange yellow squiggles. Nothing fits...

I sat on the floor, in front of the couch, the coffee table infront of me. I had my tea on the table, and I was fixing up a hole in one of my sweaters.

Sewing always helped with my stress, it just relaxes me.. The door opens, and John walks, obviously furious but was quiet about it.

Sherlock has his head in a book of runes, I glanced up at John...

Without looking up from the book Sherlock has in his hands, he said, "You’ve been gone a while."

"Yeah, well you know how it is... Custody Sergeants don’t like to be
hurried, do they? Just formalities. Finger prints; a charge sheet. And I’ll have to be in Magistrates Court on Tuesday..." John says, holding in his anger.

"What?" Sherlock said, not interested.

"Me, Sherlokc! In court on Tuesday.
They’re giving me an ASBO. Criminal damage!" John shouted.

"Good. Fine." Sherlock said, still not listening.

"Sorry, John." I said, John took a deep breath.

"At least SOMEONE listens!" He said.

"This symbol.." Sherlock says, "I still can’t place it."

John was about to take off his coat but Sherlock stopped him.

"I want you to go to the police station. Ask about the journalist." Sherlock said, "All his personal effects will be
impounded. Get hold of a diary or
something that will tell us his movements."

Sherlock then pushed John out the door. Sherlock come up to me and pulls me up, making me drop everything.

"You're coming with me." He said and dragged me out the door.

John got a cab and I followed Sherlock down the street, "You know he deserves an apology." I said to Sherlock.

He wasn't listening, I groaned and rubbed my eyes.

"Fine, I'll take him out for something to eat to make it up for him, I guess." I said, which seemed to get Sherlock's attention, but he didnt show it..

I smiled and laughed a little..