Chapter 38 | Fear

Easton knew something was up with Sherlock, he was silent and kept denying that he say something. They were back at the hotel, Sherlock was currently sitting in the lounge by the fire. His hand clapped together as he is in deep thought. His face is still full of shock and disbelief. Unaware of his distress, John comes in and sits down in the armchair on the other side of the fire.

Easton came back from getting hot chocolate, that was currently loaded with mini marshmallows. He noticed Sherlock and John sitting at the fire together, Easton sat down at a near table to listen in..

"Well, he is in a pretty bad way. He's manic, totally convinced there's some mutant super-dog roaming the moors." John says, talking about Henry. With his hands in the prayer position in front of his mouth, Sherlock glances nervously at John for a moment, then continues to gaze in the direction of the fire, lost in thought, "And there isn't, though, is there? 'Cause if people knew how to make a mutant super-dog, we'd know." Sherlock clasps his fingers together, closing his eyes and breathing heavily as if trying to fend off a panic attack, "They'd be for sale. I mean, that's how it works. Er, listen: er, on the moor I saw someone signaling. Er, Morse - I guess it's Morse."

Easton drank his coco, watching Sherlock's every move, Sherlock blinks rapidly and repeatedly.

John finally realizes how distressed his colleague is looking and pauses for a moment, then decides that he can't be right. He puts his notebook away again and sits back in his chair, "So, okay, what have we got? We know there's footprints, 'cause Henry found them; so did the tour guide bloke. We all heard something." Sherlock blows out another shaky breath. John looks across to him and frowns momentarily, "Maybe we should just look for whoever's got a big dog."

"Henry's right." Sherlock finally says, Easton stood up quickly, taking the chair next to John.

"So he finally admits it." Easton says, then drank his coco.

"What?" John says.

"I saw it too." Sherlock says, his voice shaking. John's eyes widen in shock.

"Just... just a minute." John says as he sits forward, "You saw what?"

Sherlock finally meets his gaze but his face is twisted with self-loathing as he forces himself to admit the truth, "A hound, out there in the Hollow." He talks through gritted teeth, "A gigantic hound."

John almost laughs as Sherlock looks away, but Easton stopped John from laughing by elbowing his side. John sits back in his chair again, not quite able to cope with this strange reaction from his colleague.

"Um, look, Sherlock, we have to be rational about this, okay? Now you, of all people, can't just..." Sherlock blows out another breath, "Let's just stick to what we know, yes? Stick to the facts."

Sherlock looks round at him, "Once you've ruled out the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be true." He said softly. Looking away again, Sherlock reaches down and picks up a drink from a nearby table. Looking down at his trembling hand.. "Look at me. I'm afraid, John. Afraid.. Easton." He takes a drink and then holds the glass up again, his hand still shaking.

Easton watched his movement, "... Sherlock?" He says, Sherlock ignores him.

"Always been able to keep myself distant..." Sherlock takes another drink from the glass, he then continues, "... Divorce myself from... feelings. But look, you see... My body's betraying me. Interesting, yes? Emotions." He slams the glass down onto the table. The grit on the lens, the fly in the ointment.

Easton jumps a little at this, he fiddles with his sweater sleeves, "Yeah, but Sherlock it'll be alright, just..." Easton realizes Sherlock was close to raising his voice. John looks around at the other people in the restaurant behind him and then looks back to Sherlock. Easton takes a deep breath, "Please, just... Take it easy."

Sherlock is blowing out a few more breaths and still failing to bring himself under control. He glances panic-stricken at the Italian. John stepped up, "You've been pretty wired lately, you know you have. I think you've just gone out there and got yourself a bit worked up." He says.

"Worked... Up?"

"It was dark and scary..." Easton says but his breathing stopped when Sherlock laughed sarcastically.

"Me?! There's nothing wrong with me." Sherlock says. He looks away, almost beginning to hyperventilate, then puts his fingertips to his temples, groaning in anguish. Easton looks at him in concern.

"Sherlock... " Sherlock begins blowing out breaths again, his fingers trembling against his skin. "Sher..."

"THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH ME!" Sherlock yells in anger, he glares round at Easton. Easton heart stopped, feeling his trauma being a little triggered, "DO YOU UNDERSTAND?!" He looks round at the other patrons, all of whom are now staring at him. He looks away again, then looks at Easton and John. "You want me to prove it, yes?" He pulls in a deep breath, trying to get himself under control, "We're looking for a dog, yes, a great big dog, that's your brilliant theory. Cherchez le chien. Good, excellent, yes, where shall we start?"

He looks over his shoulder and points at a man and woman sitting opposite each other at a table in the corner of the restaurant. His voice becomes savage and relentless as he goes into deduction mode.

Easton was frozen in his seat, his eyes wide while Sherlock was studying and speaking quickly about the people around them. Easton's head began to ache as he can hear his ex-husband, screaming at him and Easton crying out in fear.

"... I am fine, in fact I've never been better, so just Leave. Me. Alone." Sherlock finishes angerly. He glares at Easton and John, who both stare back at him. John was in shock and Easton was stiff as a board.

"Yeah--" John says but stops, when he notices Easton slowly standing up in his seat. Easton gulped and cleared his throat.

"Er.." Easton starts but he couldn't find the words. He just turns and leaves the room, his legs felt like they were gonna give up in fear. Sherlock didn't notice Easton's distress, he was too busy in his own thoughts..

Easton leaves the building and walks towards Henry's home, hoping he would let him stay over just for one night. Easton didn't want to sleep in the same room as Sherlock right now.

When he finally got to Henry's home, he rung the door bell and waited, the door opened.

"Mr. Parker? What are you doing here?" Henry asks.

"Can I stay here for the night, some stuff happened over at the hotel and I don't feel like being there right now."

Henry didn't want to ask what had happen, so he just let Easton in.

//Time skip\\

Easton was laying in the guest bed. He was half asleep, but he just kept having thought, those awful memories..

It was really late at night, and Henry was still up, drinking.

Easton closed his eyes, but a scream from down stairs was hear. Easton shot up, and jumped out of bed.

He ran down stairs, seeing Henry on the floor, crying, "Henry? Henry?!" Easton said, dropping on his knees and shaking Henry a little.

"I saw it!!" Henry cried, "I saw the hound. Please! Please make it stop!"

Easton frown and rubbed Henry's back in a soothing way...

((I'm sorry it's been a long time, I haven't been feeling motivated on writing and I've been focusing on doing more and more digital art, and my mental health :) so I'm sorry for the slow updates <3 ))