17. All Hell Breaks Loose

*Dani's POV*

"What brings you two here?" I asked nervously.

"Can we come in?" my mom asked. I opened the door to let them in. They walked in and looked around the place. "Did you just eat dinner?" I followed my mom's gaze to the boxes of pizza on the kitchen counter.

"Yeah," I replied. "Are you two hungry? Feel free to eat the pizza."

"We're fine," my mom replied. "We ate before coming here." I shifted my feet uncomfortably and looked at anywhere but my parents. Why are they here?

"So...what brings you two here? Why didn't you call to tell me you were coming?"

"Why would we need to call?" my dad asked with an edge in his voice. Good question, dad. I could tell by the tone of his voice that something was wrong. I tried to think back to what I could've done to upset him but came up with nothing.

"It's good to call so I know in advance and can make sure I'm home when you come to visit. You two can sit down by the way," I said, gesturing them to the couch. My mom sat down and picked at the blanket that Harry slept with on the couch.

"You sleep on the couch?" she asked.

"No," I quickly answered. "I get cold when watching TV is all. So why are you two here?" I repeated. I hate how my parents are beating around the bush. Just get to the point already!

"We noticed some weird activity in your credit card statement again," my dad finally said. I held my breath and I could feel my heart rate picking up. "Why are you spending so much money on clothes?"

"Because I need more clothes?" I replied. I realized how uncertain I sounded and unfortunately my parents heard it.

"What about your 'support group' therapy spending?" my dad continued. I tried to come up with an excuse but couldn't. They'd see right through me anyway. There's no way I can get out of this.

"I...uh...." I'm at a loss for words. I could feel my eyes beginning to water. I hate it when my parents pick on me. They never do this to my brother.

"What's going on, Dani? We're your parents. You can tell us," my mom said softly.

"I--nothing," I quickly replied, panicking.

"Where is he?" my mom suddenly asked.

"What are you talking about?" I asked back.

"Where is he? We know someone is in here with you," my mom said calmly. "We see his shoes and his clothes." My mom picked up Harry's sweater which was also on the couch. "We also heard some whispering that sounded like it came from a guy earlier."

"I don't know what you're talking about," I said weakly. There's no way I can get out of this now.

"Where is he?" my dad asked angrily. He got up from the couch and started walking around the apartment. He looked around the kitchen and then peeked into the bathroom. The only room left was my room. He met my gaze before walking into my room. I want to run after him and pull him away but my feet wouldn't move. I hear my dad opening my closet. I shut my eyes, afraid of what was going to happen. I feel so bad for Harry. He has no idea what's going on.

"You!" I heard my dad shout. "Come with me." My dad came back to the living room with Harry in tow. My mom gasped. "Care to explain this, Dani?" my dad asked angrily. I gulped in fear and found it difficult to form words.

"I-I'm helping him out, dad," I said quickly.

"By feeding him and giving him a home?" he spat. "What did I tell you, Dani? You are only treating the symptoms!"