24. The Wrong Choice

Note: This chapter is a wee bit inappropriate?? Nothing really happens but I thought I'd warn you guys just in case. :P

*Dani's POV*

"Harry."

"No, absolutely not!" I retaliated. I was flustered and I could feel that I was blushing. Damn it! Why do I blush so easily?

"You're blushing! Aw.... Someone has a crush on somebody," Rachel sang. It was moments like these that I wish there was a cliff I could push her off of.

"No. Just no."

"If not Harry, then tell me who."

"I--uh...how about that one guy in our psychology lab class with the blond hair."

"Just admit having Harry as your boyfriend is a great idea. I'm sure if you told him the situation, he'd agree to it. I mean you are helping him out after all. The least he could do is pretend to be your boyfriend. Or better yet, actually be your boyfriend. The both of you make a cute couple." I didn't want to admit it but she had a point. He would understand and be up for it.

"Fine," I sighed, giving in.

"That's what I thought."

.

.

I came home before Harry so I went ahead and made dinner for the two of us. It took longer than usual to prepare dinner because I was constantly trying to figure out how to approach Harry about the situation. I kept thinking of possible ways to bring it up.

How was your day today? Good! Can you do me a favor and pretend to be my boyfriend? I shook my head. That was too forward. He'd probably spit out his drink.

How was my day? It was good! No, it was horrible. You see, there's a mentally unstable homeless guy who's in love with me so I lied about having a boyfriend so he'd leave me alone. That didn't work out because I now have to prove that I have one. Can you do me a favor and pretend to be my boyfriend? Thanks. That sounded much better. It was best to tell him the truth. Or better yet...

Just be my boyfriend, damn it! I frowned. I wish it was that easy. Why does love have to be so complicated?

I suddenly smelled something burning and realized I burnt the chicken. I swore under my breath. There goes dinner. Takeout it is, then. I quickly opened the doors and windows and used a flattened cardboard box to fan the fire alarm. I prayed that the alarm wouldn't go off.

After fanning for a good ten minutes, I decided everything was good and that it was safe to leave. I put a light jacket on and headed out the door. I walked down the street not knowing where I was headed and found myself not too far away from Mel's Bakery. I looked at my watch and saw that Harry was off work soon. I decided to wait for him so we could decide where to eat together.

After waiting on a bench for twenty minutes, a tired Harry finally emerged from the bakery. I quickly called him over and he was surprised to see me.

"What are you doing here?" he asked. Before I could respond, he asked me another question. "How long did you wait out here for?"

"Twenty minutes but it's no big deal. I accidentally burned our dinner so I was hoping we could go out and eat?" I could tell Harry was trying so hard not to laugh.

"Sounds good to me. Where are we eating?" he managed to ask.

"I'm up for anything to be honest. Anything but burnt chicken."

"Me too," Harry joked. "How does sushi sound?"

"Sounds great."

We walked towards a sushi restaurant and made small talk along the way. Harry's day was long and tiring. He said a customer came in demanding that a birthday cake be made in an hour because his son's birthday party started soon. Mel was scrambling to get it done so Harry had to man the cashier and help customers on his own for a good chunk of the day.