3. You're Not Fixing the Underlying Problem.

*Harry's POV*

Before I know it, the weekend is here. The apartment is empty. I grab my bag and stand at the door with Tom.

"You ready, son?" Tom's dad asks.

"Yeah," Tom says. "Can I have a minute to talk to Harry?"

"Of course. I'll be in the car." Tom's dad walks to the car.

I look at Tom expectantly, waiting for him to speak. All of a sudden, he hastily shoves an envelope in my hand.

"Here, take this," he says. "It's a note from me. Harry, I want you to know that even though I'm no longer living on campus, I'm still a student at UW (pronounced "u-dub"). If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to call. I'm sorry this had to happen." His eyes are full of sadness.

"Don't be. This isn't your fault," I tell him.

"I should get going," Tom says, walking towards the car. He nods goodbye to me and I give him a smile. I look at the envelope in my hands and open it up. I find $300 inside. My jaw drops to the ground and I look for Tom but he's long gone.

.

.

*Dani's POV*

"How's school?" my dad asks.

"Good!" I chirp. I'm sitting at the computer working on a short essay. I have my phone between my ear and shoulder.

"Good. So.... Your mom and I were looking over your credit card statement last night and we found something unusual." I feel a lump form in my throat and I start to sweat.

"What was so unusual?" I try to ask casually.

"Why on earth are you spending so much money at McDonald's?! Is everything okay?" I can tell my dad is unhappy. It's best to tell him the truth.

"Please don't get upset at me!" I beg.

"I know there's a reason behind this. Tell me what it is."

I sighed before speaking. "I've been buying food for homeless people," I say quickly. I hear a long sigh escape from his mouth. I know he's really upset. I've always been the black sheep of the family. My dad is a surgeon, my mom is a pharmacist, and my older brother is finishing up medical school. My parents have always wanted me to follow in their footsteps but it wasn't what I wanted. I wanted to help the less fortunate.

I don't even understand why my parents are upset about this. Shouldn't they be proud of me? I'm helping the homeless for crying out loud! It's not like we're poor! I literally live 15 minutes away from campus yet my parents still insist on paying rent for an apartment close to campus so I can get the "college experience." Money is not an issue for our family.

"You're feeding the homeless?" my dad asks slowly.

"They don't have anything."

"These people are capable of getting jobs on their own but they choose not to. They are lowlifes. I don't want you around these people."

"I'm helping these people by giving them food."

"Dani, you do know that you are only alleviating the symptoms, right? You're not fixing the underlying problem. Feeding them won't do them any good. They will still be homeless."

My dad continues to lecture me on the phone but I'm not listening. The words he said are repeated in my mind.

You are only alleviating the symptoms, not fixing the underlying problem. My mind clicked at the realization. What he said is true.