9. The First Step

*Dani's POV*

Once Harry was done eating, he went to the bathroom to take a shower and freshen up.  I decided to catch up on reading while I was waiting for him to finish.

"Thanks for having me." I looked up from my textbook to meet Harry's eyes. He's already on his way out the door with his bag in his hand. I sat up in shock.

"Where are you going?" I asked. I thought he was going to stay.

"Out," he replied. "I only planned to stay for one night. I'll get a spot in the homeless shelter this time." My heart dropped to the ground. I thought he accepted my offer to help him.

"You said you needed help," I said, getting up. "I thought you accepted my offer."

"Well you thought wrong. Sorry," he said. His eyes were apologetic.

"What's your plan, Harry?" I suddenly asked.

"What?"

"What's your plan, Harry? What do you plan on doing with your life? Do you have any aspirations?" He's silent for a long time and I'm afraid I annoyed him again. Things were going really well the past few hours and now this had to happen.

"...I don't know."

"Yes you do. Tell me."

"Fine," he snapped. "I'll tell you what my aspirations are! My aspiration is to not live with guilt! To stop smoking and drinking! To not be homeless anymore!" I didn't see this coming--I was at a loss for words. He ran his hand through his hair and lowered his voice. "I want you to know that I'm too far gone. Helping me is a lost cause. I don't want you wasting your time on me." His voice was so full of emotion I wouldn't be surprised if he started crying. What he said was heartbreaking. I couldn't believe he thought he was a lost cause. He's so broken to the point he doesn't believe in himself anymore. I took a deep breath before speaking.

"You may think you're a lost cause but I don't," I said in a small voice. "I can help you with all of those."

"Why are you doing this?"

"I'm the black sheep of the family. I want to prove them wrong."

"If you're doing this to prove a point to your family, you're doing it for the wrong reason. You should be doing this for yourself."

"I am," I breathe. "This is what I want to do. I want to help people. I want to change their lives." He stares at me for a long time, deep in thought.

.

.

*Harry's POV*

A million thoughts are going through my head. Every word I said is true. I want to live with no guilt. I want to stop smoking and drinking. I don't want to be homeless anymore. I do have aspirations, really. I want to go to college. I want to get married and have kids. I want to live a happy life.

The situation I'm in right now keeps me from achieving my dreams. I'm always running away from help but what good is that doing for me? Right in front of me is an opportunity. If I don't take it, I'll be living the same life and that's not what I want. I need to change. This is what my mum would want. Change.

"I want you to help me," I finally said in a small voice. "I want to get better." It felt good saying those words but I was scared. Scared of what was going to happen. I know it's not going to be easy. I'm also scared that she'll give up on me. I really hope she doesn't. You may think you're a lost cause but I don't. Does she really think that? I look at her, waiting for her to answer.

"Every day will be a challenge but I look forward to seeing you change," she finally says. She gives me a hopeful smile. "I'm glad you're finally admitting you need help, Harry. That's the first step to change."