8. Formal Introductions

*Dani's POV*

My heart rate quickened as I recognized his voice. I didn't think he would call to be honest. He doesn't sound okay and that worries me. "Where are you?" I ask.

"I...don't know," he said in a small voice. I frown.

"Look around. What do you see? Are there any stores around?"

"I'm near a Bartell Drugs...." I instantly know where he is. I'm already out of my bed and putting a jacket on.

"Stay where you are. I'm coming." I run out of the apartment building with a blanket in my hands to my car in the garage. I start it up and let the heat blast through the car. The streets are empty as I drive towards Bartell Drugs. Why is he out in the streets so late? Shouldn't he be at the homeless shelter? I see Bartell Drugs up ahead and scan the streets for any signs of life. It takes me a while to find him but I finally see a figure curled up under a closed shop. I put the car in park, opened the door, and ran out to him.

"I'm here!" I breathe. I look at him and he looks absolutely broken. His face is pale and his eyes are closed. He looks exhausted. He shouldn't be out here. He must be suffering from hypothermia. I gently shake him. "C'mon...let's go to the car." I help him to his feet and we slowly make our way to the car. I open the back door and help him get in. I wrap the blanket around his body and take my jacket off and wrap it around him as well. I closed the door and got back into the driver's seat. "I should take you to the hospital."

"No. Don't," he said. I barely heard him over the heater. I don't question him and drive towards my apartment. I reached the parking garage and parked my car and looked at the clock. It's 1:02 AM. I closed my eyes. I'm glad tomorrow is Sunday.

"We can go inside if you want." I opened my eyes and turned around to face him.

"Can you walk? My apartment is on the fourth floor," I say. He nods and we get out of the car. The blanket and my coat is still wrapped around him as we entered the lobby. We took the elevator to the fourth floor in silence. We finally made it to my apartment.

"Make yourself at home. I'll give you some warm milk to drink," I said, making my way to the kitchen. I took out a carton of milk from the fridge and looked at the boy timidly sit down on the couch. I poured him a glass of milk and put it in the microwave. Once it was done heating, I walked over to him and gave him the glass.

"Thanks," he mumbled. He gulped the glass down.

"How are you doing?" I ask.

"A lot better. Thanks again," he said sleepily. I smile at him.

"You should go to sleep," I said, handing him a pillow ad he doesn't argue. I get off the couch so he can lie down. "Food is in the fridge if you're hungry and the bathroom is down the hall. Make yourself at home." I hear heavy breathing and look at him. He's already asleep. I leave him alone and walk to my bed, yawning. I know I should be cautious having a stranger sleep on my couch but I don't have enough energy to worry right now. I collapse on my warm bed. As strange as it is, I don't find him dangerous at all. All I see is a lost boy. I close my eyes and fall asleep.

~

I woke up to the sound of shuffling in the kitchen. I opened my eyes and began to panic. Who's in my apartment?! The events from last night enter my mind and I instantly relax. I turned to the clock at my bedside table. It's 10:43 AM. I sighed and got out of bed. I crept to the kitchen and quietly watched the boy rummage through my fridge. He took out a container of leftover pasta I had last night. He closed the fridge and turned around. Once he saw me, he panicked and dropped the container on the ground. He muttered an expletive and closed his eyes, putting his hand over his heart.

"You scared me," he breathed.

"Sorry," I said. "You shouldn't be scared. I told you to make yourself at home, remember?" He bent over to pick up the container and put it in the microwave. I took this opportunity to go to the bathroom to get ready. Once I finished, I found him in the kitchen wolfing down the pasta like there's no tomorrow. I laugh to myself. When was the last time he ate? He sees me laughing.

"What's so funny?" he said with a mouthful of food.

"Nothing," I said, smiling. "My mom said I was an awful cook but I guess I'm getting better." He smiles and then lets out a big laugh. I've never heard anything so beautiful in my life.

"I haven't had anything to eat for a while so I'm starving. I'll eat anything. Your pasta's alright, I guess," he grins.

"Hey!" I shouted, pretending to be hurt.

"I'm kidding! I'm absolutely kidding. Your pasta is delicious," he says, smirking at me. I laugh.

"Someone's obviously feeling better," I say.

"Thanks to you. I realize I never got your name."

"It's Dani."

"Nice to meet you, Dani. I'm Harry."