25. Unstable

*Dani's POV*

Five days. It's been five days since I've last seen Josh. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I'd like to think of it as a good thing but I can't seem to get that look he gave me out of my head. It was a look of fear, panic, disbelief, and jealousy. A deadly combination of emotions if you ask me.

But I can tell you one thing. I enjoy not being followed on a regular basis and I like how I don't have to make conversation with him. He has simply disappeared, but knowing Josh, he's not quite gone. He's up to something. Something that I don't want any part of or any knowledge of. Even though he's not around, I still feel his eyes on me, watching my every move. I'm not quite free yet.

Maybe Harry's right. I should call the police but I think that's taking it too far. He hasn't done anything to me yet. He has only made me uncomfortable but he hasn't done anything to me and I hope it stays that way. Josh is just going through a phase and I hope that with time, he won't be interested in me anymore.

Things haven't been the same since I told Harry about Josh. He's been worried lately and has been keeping a close eye on me. He would walk me to class, walk me home, and occasionally call or text to see how I was doing. His protectiveness is somewhat suffocating but I really appreciate him watching out for me. First, it was me watching out for him, but now, he's watching out for me. In a way, we're even now.

"Did you hear what I said?" Harry asked, watching me carefully.

"Huh?" I replied, shaking the thoughts from my head.

"I said I'm working the night shift tomorrow to cover for a co-worker who's sick."

"Oh." I wasn't quite sure what to say about that?

"You don't understand, do you?" he asked slowly.

"Understand what?"

"If I work the night shift tomorrow, I can't walk you home."

"I can walk home by myself just fine. I've been doing it for four years."

"Yeah, but that was before you told me about that homeless guy that's been following you," Harry said sternly. "I'm going to try to get out of working the night shift tomorrow."

"There's no need. It's only one night. Besides, I haven't seen him since I told him I had a boyfriend," I replied. Harry continued to watch me for the longest time and then sighed.

"Fine. Just be careful," he warned.

"I will," I told him, shooting him a reassuring smile. He smiled back at me but as soon as I turned to face my food, his smile was replaced by a frown. He doesn't think I'm capable of walking home myself, does he?

Harry and I were at an Italian restaurant having dinner. I was suddenly not hungry anymore because of the conversation. It upset me that Harry was treating me like a child and didn't think I was capable of taking care of myself.

"Let's go home," I suggested, a slight annoyance in my tone.

"But you haven't touched your food," Harry countered.

"I'm not hungry anymore." Harry's eyes softened at my words and he silently got up to pay the bill. He came back later with change and some takeout boxes.

"Here," he said, handing me a takeout box. "Look...I'm sorry if what I said upset you, okay? I'm just worried for you is all."

"No need to be sorry. I understand," I replied, not meeting his eyes. I put my focus on making sure I didn't spill any pasta as I shoveled the food into the box.