26. Grief

*Harry's POV*

Two police cars raced past the bakery followed by an ambulance. The sound of the sirens are still ringing in my ears even though they're long gone. I can't help but hope that that person is okay.

It seems like something bad happened close by and that worries me because Dani is walking home alone. I turned to look at the clock and it was half past 8 PM. She should be home now. I fished out my phone and stared at it. She said she'd call me. I tried my best to resist calling her. I don't want to be too overbearing but I can't help it. I quickly called her and looked over my shoulder to see if my manager was watching. Luckily she was busy cleaning up the kitchen. The call went straight to voicemail to my disappointment.

I spoke into the phone. "Hi Dani, it's Harry. I called to see if you were home. Give me a call back when you get the chance. I love you."

.

.

I had a long day at work and it bugged me that Dani never called back. I think this is her way of getting back at me for being so protective. She's not the type to hold a grudge so I just shrug it off. Maybe she's busy or maybe she forgot. I made my way back to the apartment and was surprised to find the door ajar. My heart rate picked up and there were goosebumps on my skin. Why is the door open? I slowly pushed the door open and found Dani's parents inside, sobbing. They were accompanied by two police officers. I froze. This can't be good.

I walked in silently and all eyes were on me. All of a sudden, Dani's dad got up in anger and shoved me against the wall.

"THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT, GOD DAMN IT!" he spit in my face. His hands wrapped around my neck and I struggled to breath. I could hear Dani's mum yelling and crying, and I saw two police officers quickly pull him off me. I sank to the floor, gasping for air.

"What happened?" I wheezed.

"SHE'S DEAD AND IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!" Dani's dad screamed. What is he talking about? What's happening? Dani's mum continued to sob uncontrollably and the police officers restrained her dad, pinning him to the couch. One of the officers turned to look at me, his eyes heavy with grief.

"I'm so sorry to tell you this but Dani was shot dead two hours ago."

Shot two hours ago. Dead. No, that can't be. "Are you sure it's her?" I croaked.

The officer nodded. "We had her parents confirm that it was her," he said in a quiet voice. I could hear Dani's mum wail non-stop. My face paled and I felt like I was going to be sick. I shakily sat down and took deep breaths.

"Can I see her? Please?" I begged.

"She's at the hospital. The coroner is performing an autopsy to figure out her cause of death," the officer said.

"What happened?" I asked, overwhelmed by everything. I couldn't think straight. The wailing in the background and the murderous stare of her father was not helping the situation.

"Residents in an apartment complex heard two gunshots and went outside to investigate. They found two dead bodies and quickly called 911. Both were declared dead on the scene," the officer replied calmly. "I'm so sorry, I really am. If there's anything that I can do, please let me know."

"Two people?" I asked, breathless.

"The first victim was Dani. The other person, who we assume fired the shots, killed Dani first before turning the gun on himself."

"Who's the other person?" I asked. Who would do such a thing?

"We are not allowed to release that information until we inform his immediate family and relatives first, but it's proving to be a difficult task because this man is homeless." Time stopped when I heard the word 'homeless'. The homeless man that was following Dani. He killed her. I wanted to rip my hair out and scream and kick but I was surprisingly unable to move. I was surprisingly calm. Maybe it hasn't hit me yet that she's really gone.

"I told her to stay away from the homeless. They're nothing but trouble. Look at what happened for f*ck's sake!" her father growled. "And you...I told you to stay away." He pointed his stubby finger at me, his eyes full of hate. His wife desperately clung onto his arm, afraid he would jump at me again. I was tired of this man and his hate for the homeless. I was tired of him doing whatever he could to put me down. I looked him right in the eye, tired of his insults.

"Not all homeless people are bad people. They are people who need help, just like me. Just know that Dani would never condone your behavior towards the homeless despite what's happened. I bet you my life that she's watching you from above and is very disappointed in you," I shot back. My cheeks were heated. I wasn't happy talking to her dad that way but it had to be said. He had to understand that the words coming from his mouth were vile and downright disgusting.

Her father watched me in silence. His eyes were hard but a few minutes later, they softened and he began crying. I felt guilty for talking back at him but he needed to know.

"My baby," he sobbed. "I'm so sorry, Dani, please forgive me." I've never seen him so broken before. I had to admit it hurt to see him cry. I felt something run down my cheeks and I went to wipe it, realizing they were tears. I was finally crying. I let the sadness consume me and I cried until I couldn't cry anymore.

Losing someone you love is very hard. The pain you feel in your heart is indescribable, and here I am feeling it a second time. The first person I lost was my mum. Thinking of my mum only brings back more tears and more horrible memories. I never got over my mum's death, and here I am dealing with another loss. I finally gathered the courage to tell Dani that I love her and I lost her the next day. What did I do to deserve such bad luck?

I suddenly began to panic. I must have done something wrong to deserve this. This is all my fault. All of it. I quickly got up and searched my bags for a cigarette. I finally found a pack and stepped outside in the cool air. I had to get away. Just for a bit. I was glad no one bothered to follow me.

I fumbled with the box of cigarettes and found it difficult to open. I finally managed to rip the box open, but I opened it too harshly, spilling all the cigarettes over the railing. I stared at the scattered cigarettes in the dirt below and couldn't help but laugh. I bet they did this on purpose. It's a sign.

I leaned my back against the wall and slid down so that I was now sitting and just laughed. I bet the neighbors thought I was insane or something. I was suddenly not craving a cigarette anymore. I smiled at my achievement, glad that I didn't cave.

They're still watching out for me. They always were and they always will.