22. Falling Into Place

*Harry's POV*

I watched them walk out the door. Watching them walk away seemed like an eternity. In my mind, everything was slowed down.

And then I did the unthinkable. I ran after her.

I rushed towards the door. My co-worker called after me but I ignored him. I managed to get out of the bakery and ran into a group of students who were startled and confused as to why I was in a rush. I quickly apologized and started running towards the direction I saw Dani and Rachel leave but quickly stopped. They were no where in sight. My eyes frantically searched the crowd.

My heart fell as time ticked by and there was still no sign of Dani and Rachel. I was too late. I lost her. Again. My shoulders slumped. I knew I had to go back to work or else I'd get in trouble.

My feet were heavy as I slowly made my way back to the bakery. When I got back, John constantly asked me what happened and where I went. I just stayed silent with a permanent scowl on my face. He eventually left me alone which I was glad for. Luckily Mel and her husband weren't around to see me run off. Even though I was ignoring John, he wasn't the type to get revenge and tell the owners and I was thankful for that. I'll have to apologize to him tomorrow.

The day went by slowly. I was constantly thinking about her. Every time the chime went off when a customer walked in, I'd quickly look to see if it was Dani, but each time I looked, it only made me more disappointed.

I was hopeless. I thought I was over her. Once I saw her, the feelings came back. I'm still head over heels for her. Why did I run away from her in the first place?

It was finally closing time. John and I worked in silence to clean up the place and to get things ready for tomorrow. John had to leave a few minutes early but that was fine by me. I owe it to him after all.

I turned off the lights and exited the bakery. I quickly locked the doors. Even though I've walked down these streets many times before, it still made me nervous to walk around when it was dark out. I started walking towards the hotel until I heard someone call my name softly.

I immediately turned around and was surprised to see Dani. What is she doing here?

"What are you doing here?" I asked, shocked that she was standing in front of me.

"I thought I'd stop by to talk and see how you're doing," she answered softly. I could tell she was nervous.

"How long have you been waiting for me to come out?"

"Just a couple minutes. I just assumed you had to close."

"Oh."

"Do you want to come to my place to talk?" she asked casually. How can she be so casual about this? I couldn't answer her. I just nodded my head like an idiot and followed her.

.

.

*Dani's POV*

My heart was beating erratically as Harry followed me to my apartment. The path to my apartment was familiar so it didn't take too long to reach it. I quickly unlocked the door and held it open for him to walk in. I had to see him again. I just had to.

Earlier in the day when Rachel told me she wanted to go into Mel's Bakery, I refused to go in. I was afraid of seeing him again. I was afraid of what would happen.

The minute I laid my eyes on him, he was looking at me. I had to quickly look away as the flood of feelings came back. The barrier I tried so hard to put up came down. But it was okay because it confirmed something I already knew--that I was in love with Harry. That was when I realized I had to see him again. I needed him in my life again.