18. Picking up the pieces

^ Drunk Harry is the best. :)

*Dani's POV*

She's blinded by love.

How could I be so blind? Why was I so quick to deny my love for Harry? Maybe it was because I thought it was unprofessional of me. I mean who falls in love with a homeless person for crying out loud? But you know what? Who cares. I love him. I love his beautiful green eyes. I love the way he runs his hands through his brown unruly hair. I love the way he licks his lips before speaking. I love the dimples that show when he smiles. I love how he makes you feel like you're the most important person in the world when he talks to you. I love everything about him, flaws and all. He's a lovely person who doesn't deserve any of this.

He shouldn't be homeless and it makes me sad that he struggles with smoking and drinking. Although I wish his dad never left him, that he never hung out with the wrong crowd, and that he never made his mom worried sick all the time--I wouldn't change anything. If I did, we would have never met.

He may be a tough nut to crack and be intimidating and angry on the outside, but deep inside, I know he's a sweet person who's been through a lot. He's been through things that no person should ever go through. He's broken on the inside and he needs help. That's what I'm here for. I'll pick up the broken pieces and put him back together. I love that he admits he's flawed and that he's willing to change.

I lay on my back staring at the ceiling thinking about Harry and crying my eyes out. Once I had no more tears to shed, I got up. I have to find Harry. I quickly grabbed my coat and headed out. I look like a mess but I don't care. I walked out into the streets and tried to think of where he could be.

"Harry?" I asked loudly. A group of students standing outside a restaurant gave me weird stares but I ignored them. My looks are the least of my worries. All I care about is finding Harry. I continued walking down the street.

I was hoping Harry would be easy to find. That he would come out from wherever he went to and comfort me in his warm, inviting arms, but that never happened. I felt cold and empty on the inside.

I walked towards the homeless shelter because that's the only place I can think of. It's almost 9 PM when I get to the shelter. I walked towards it only to find it closed. There's no way Harry can be at the homeless shelter if it's closed. I walked to the church nearby. I know of some churches that house the homeless. I reached the church only to be told that they didn't see a young man named Harry enter. Where could he be? He could be anywhere, to be honest. I walked around the streets with no sense of direction. I found myself walking down the same street two or three times. I know I shouldn't be walking around so late at night. I've heard of people being mugged when they're out on the streets alone at night. I hope no trouble finds Harry and that he has a roof over his head.

At 12:34 AM, I gave up on trying to find Harry. I've searched all the possible places he could be at but he's nowhere to be found. I'll try again tomorrow when I have renewed energy. A thought then came to me that he was gone for good--that he was never coming back. I shook the negative thoughts from my head refusing to believe that. That can't be true. We'll see each other again.

I headed back to the apartment, tired and dejected. Some part of me hoped that I would see Harry when I opened the doors to my apartment. I opened the doors to find nothing but disappointment. I took my jacket off, walked towards my room, and collapsed on my bed. I couldn't stop the tears rolling down my cheek.

Please come back, Harry. Don't leave me.

.

.

*Harry's POV*

He is a disgusting human being who doesn't deserve your kindness.

Every time those words replay in my mind, I cringe. He's right. I am disgusting. I don't deserve her kindness. All I've done is take from her.

Memories of my mum come back. Bad memories of course. Memories of how I would come home high and drunk. Memories of my mum being disappointed and crying herself to sleep. Memories of how I'm the reason why my mum is dead.

My heart is heavy and I make my way to a hotel nearby. I pay for a single night at the hotel and drop off all my belongings before deciding to head to a bar nearby. I ordered a drink and took out a cigarette and lit it. I took the time to look around. The bar was full of happy, drunk college students partying away their worries. On the other hand, there was me who was downright miserable and struggling to be happy.

My thoughts went back to Dani. Right when things were going well, they took a turn for the worst. I gulped my drink down. I don't deserve to be happy. I've done horrible things to myself and my family and I have to pay for it. I put the cigarette to my lips and inhaled the nicotine. Smoking used to make me happy and relaxed, but now it makes me feel absolutely disgusting. I keep thinking about how disappointed my mum and Dani would be at my actions right now. Those thoughts prevent me from finishing my cigarette. I put my cigarette in the ashtray. I have to stop. I can't go back to smoking and drinking every time I'm feeling down. I paid for my drink and left the bar a little tipsy but not quite drunk. Once I got back to the hotel, I took a shower to get rid of the smell of smoke and alcohol before going to bed.

It feels nice sleeping in a bed but the bed feels cold. I surprising miss the couch I slept on. Even though it was uncomfortable, it was warm and inviting. I want to crawl back to Dani's apartment but I know I have to stay away. It's best if we never see each other again. I've been nothing but trouble for her. I hope she forgives me and knows how thankful I am for all the things she's done for me.

.

.

*Josh's POV*

Something happened. Something went wrong. I smiled to myself as I watched Dani dejectedly return to her apartment after being in the street for hours. She shouldn't be wandering around so late at night. Something bad could've happened to her. I felt the need to follow her to make sure she was okay and that no drunk tried to approach her.

Dani thought I left after our encounter at the café today but I didn't. I stayed behind and watched her order coffee from the window and that was when I saw her talk to him. Harry. I can't believe she knows Harry!

Harry and I both work for the same boss. We've met a few times but we never said much to each other. I guess you could say we despised each other because we both needed the money but we had to share the work.

But what is Dani doing with Harry? Are they together? First he takes my job and then he takes my girl. I clenched my fists in anger. I want to punch his pretty face until it's all bloody. I smiled at the thought of seeing Harry's face damaged and bloody.

I was nervous about Dani and Harry being together so I followed Dani back to her apartment after she ordered pizza. I was furious to see Harry approach her apartment a couple hours later. When I saw that Harry had the key to her apartment, I lost it. I kicked the bushes and punched a brick wall until my knuckles were bloody.

Not too long after Harry's return, I saw a couple approach her apartment. I assumed they were her parents. Something went wrong in the apartment because half an hour later, I saw Harry leave with his bag in a hurry. I was happy to see him leave. I hope he never comes back. I didn't bother to follow Harry to see where he went. I then saw her parents leave with a sad look on their face. And then after a while, I saw Dani emerge from the apartment. She looked as if she was crying. My poor Dani was crying! I wish I could make her tears go away and kiss her to make her feel better.

There was no doubt she was looking for Harry. She was looking in all the wrong places but I didn't mind. That meant she couldn't find Harry and that I got to see more of her. I followed her around but she didn't know I was there. After three hours of searching, she gave up. She went back to her apartment.

I don't know what happened in the apartment but I'm glad it happened. She needs to stay away from Harry. She's mine.

-----

Thanks for reading and don't forget to vote and comment! :)