4. Seeking Shelter

*Dani's POV*

It's Sunday morning and I walk to McDonald's again. I order the usual and walk towards campus, giving the Egg McMuffins to the familiar faces along the way. I walk down The Ave and find Lisa sleeping. I wake her up, hand her breakfast, and wait for her to finish eating.

"C'mon, let's go," I say, taking her hand in mine and pulling her up to her feet.

"Where are we going?" she asks me. I can tell she's scared.

"To the homeless shelter," I say. She takes a step back nervously.

"I don't know about this," she says.

"Trust me. Everything will be okay," I ensure her. We walk to the homeless shelter together.

.

.

*Harry's POV*

I walked around the streets huffing on my second cigarette. Thoughts were rushing through my mind. What am I doing with my life? Where am I going to sleep tonight? I find myself in front of my boss' smoke shop. I walk in and my boss looks up at me.

"Harry! What brings you here? I don't have anything for you to do today," he says.

"I need help," I say flatly.

"With what?" I tell him everything about my situation. Once I finish, he sits up and gives me a stern look. "I can't help you this time. You're on your own. However, there is a homeless shelter a few blocks down the road. They'll give you a temporary place to stay for the night and some food but that's it. But to be honest, I think you're better off living with your aunt."

My blood boils at the mention of my aunt. "I am NOT living with my aunt whatsoever!" I say angrily. "Give me a pack of cigarettes." I hand him the money and he takes it, giving me a pack of cigarettes and change in return. I thought he would help me this time. In the past, he let me stay at his place for a few weeks and even gave me some money. Now he's done with me.

I walk out of the store and around the corner towards the homeless shelter. I don't have any other choice. I have to stay at the homeless shelter tonight. In my mind, staying at the homeless shelter is not ideal. I don't need someone telling me how to 'get on my feet again' but I will do it in order to get food in my stomach and have a roof over my head. It's evening and there is already a long line to get into the homeless shelter. I stand in line and wait for an hour before I am finally granted entrance to the building.

I finally reach the admission desk and I take a step back in shock when I see the person sitting behind the counter.

"Name please?" the woman asks, looking down at her paper. I don't answer. She looks up and gasps. "Harry!" I take a few steps back into the person behind me.

"Oh, sorry sir," I say apologetically to the man I bumped into.

"Hey ! Watch where yer goin' !" he spat at me in a heavy Irish accent. I raise my hands up apologetically and turn around to face the woman behind the counter.

"Harry!" she shouts again. "What are you doing here?! You don't have to do this! Come stay with me."

"There is no way in hell I'm staying with you," I spit at my aunt. I stormed off into the shelter without taking a look back.

.

.

*Harry's Aunt's POV*

My heart was just shattered into a million pieces. I couldn't believe what just happened. What is my sister's son doing in a homeless shelter? He should be staying with me! I can raise him like he's my son.

I don't know why he refuses to stay with me. I never did anything for him to treat me this way. I love him and I want what's best for him. Why doesn't he see that I'm trying to help him?

I wanted to run after him but I couldn't. I had a job to do. I looked at the next person in line.

"Name please?"