20. Open-Minded

*Dani's POV*

It's Saturday afternoon and I'm having lunch with my mom in a café in downtown Seattle. To be honest, I don't want to be here but she's my mom and I love her. I stared out the window as we waited for our food. February was almost coming to an end. The sun was shining and it was getting warmer outside. I spotted a couple across the street holding hands and laughing. They were happy and I wasn't. I looked away and turned to look at my mom. She was staring at me and I couldn't read her expression. After staring at each other for a while, my mom finally broke the silence.

"How are you doing, Dani?" I stayed silent. Our relationship hasn't been the same since my parents found out about Harry. We don't talk as much as we used to. My mom sighed. "I'm sorry, Dani. I really am."

I looked her straight in the eye and knew she was telling the truth. I could see sadness in her eyes. She looked older. I know I'm the reason for that. I simply nodded and sipped my coffee.

Our food finally arrived and we ate in silence. Ten minutes passed before my mom tried to make conversation again.

"Do you love him?" I choked on the sandwich I was eating. I wasn't expecting her to ask that. I drank some water and cleared my throat before speaking.

"What do you think, mom?" I snapped. I quickly put my hands over my mouth, surprised at the tone I used at my mom. Luckily my mom wasn't angry. She was just sad. "Sorry," I mumbled quickly.

"It's okay. I'll take that as a yes," my mom said, poking her salad with a fork. "Can you tell me more about him?" What is it with my mom and all these questions all of a sudden?

"Why do you care? You think he's scum just like dad."

"That's not true," she quickly replied. "I was quick to judge him is all. But I was wrong. I didn't give him a chance. I didn't know his side of the story. Or yours. So can you please tell me more about him?" I guess it couldn't hurt. Talking about Harry with my mom may help the pain I've been feeling the past few days.

"I don't know where to start...."

"How about the beginning? How did you meet him?" Memories of how Harry and I first met flooded my mind and I smiled at the nice memory.

"We met at the homeless shelter," I started and then began laughing at how unromantic that sounded. I told her the story of how Harry and I met. My mom was quiet the whole time I talked. Every now and then, she'd nod, smile, or comment. I tried to find any signs of disgust or judgement in her face but there wasn't any. She seemed okay with everything. Once I finished talking, she spoke up.

"He sounds like a lovely guy."

"He is."

"So where is he?"

"I...don't know." My mom could see that things got dark all of a sudden. My happiness was gone. I felt empty inside.

"I'm sorry, Dani," my mom said sadly. She put her hands over mine and lightly squeezed them.

"It's okay," I said with no emotion.

"It's not okay," my mom replied. "Is he avoiding you?"

"I don't know." My mom frowned.

"Don't give up, Dani. You'll see him again some day. As for your dad, I'll try to change his mind but you know how he is. He can be stubborn. But I'll try to convince him that things aren't as bad as they seem."

"Thanks, mom," I said, giving her a weak smile. Even though they were just words, to me, they meant everything. I was happy that my mom was being open-minded. It's a start but it's something.

Things were normal after that. My mom and I chatted away, catching up with each other. We walked along the streets and I noticed Mel's Bakery along the way. I slowed down and stopped in front of the bakery. I tried my best to look inside but the windows were tinted. My mom noticed my strange behavior.

"Do you want to go in?" she asked. I held my breath. Do I want to go in? I do...just to see if Harry's in there. But what if he's not there? I would just be disappointed again. Fear got the better of me and I shook my head.

"I'm good," I replied. I continued walking and my mom followed my footsteps.

.

.

*Harry's POV*

I sat on a bench outside the library watching students walk by. Never in my life have I ever wanted to be a student again but I know I will never be able to afford it. I was waiting for Tom to be done with his study group. I came half an hour early but that was because I had nothing else to do. I try to minimize the amount of time I spend at the hotel. The hotel isn't an interesting place at all.

I looked at my watch and noticed that Tom was running a bit late. I didn't mind though. The sun was out and it was cool outside but not too cold. A few minutes later passed and a flustered Tom emerged from the library. He looked around wildly until he spotted me sitting on the bench. I waved at him and got up to walk towards him. Tom greeted me and hugged me and I hugged him back.

"It's so good to see you again!" Tom exclaimed. He pulled away from the hug but left both of his hands on my shoulders. "How are you doing?"

I smiled at him. "I'm good, what about you?"

"Please elaborate. I deserve more than a 'I'm good,'" Tom said sternly. His stern face later changed to laughter. "No really, tell me how you're doing."

"Things are going well. I got the job!" I said excitedly. Tom's eyebrows shot up and he hugged me again.

"Congratulations! I knew you'd get it," he said, patting me on the back. "Let's go out and celebrate. Lunch is on me."

We went out on the streets and decided on Mexican food. Tom ordered a burrito while I ordered tacos. My mouth was watering when I saw the tacos. It's been so long since I've had Mexican food.

"Ugh, exams are driving me crazy. There's no break. My life is just study study study," Tom frowned. I was suddenly glad that I wasn't a student. I definitely didn't miss all the stress and exams.

"But isn't this your last year?" I asked. Tom shook his head to confirm that it was his last year. "Don't worry-you'll be working soon and then it'll just be work work work for you." Tom laughed.

"Gee, thanks. Speaking of work, when do you start?" Tom asked.

"Tomorrow," I beamed.

"That's great! Tell me how it goes and get me a little something from the bakery," Tom joked. I laughed.

"I'll sneak something for you," I said, winking at him. "But seriously, I don't know how I'm going to control myself in the bakery. I'm going to want to eat everything."

"Do you get to make or decorate anything?"

"Not yet but in the future they might let me. I'm just manning the cashier and doing some custodial work in the meantime."

"I see. I'm definitely going to stop by some day and be the most difficult customer you've ever had."

"You wouldn't dare."

"I would. Just watch me."

---

Sorry I skipped the last update! I was having writer's block but I think things are good now. Thanks for reading and remember to vote and comment! :)