11. Baby Steps

*Harry's POV*

I woke up to an empty apartment. The sun is shining and I'm feeling really good. I showered and ate breakfast before heading out. Dani said she won't be back from class until 4 PM so I decide to walk to my boss' smoke shop.

"Harry! I have something for you today," my boss says. He sees the big smile on my face. "Why are you so happy?"

"Things are going well," I tell him. I tell him about Dani and her plans to put me back on my feet. My boss smiles at me.

"I'm glad you're making changes, Harry."

"Can I get a pack of cigarettes?" I ask, sliding the money towards him. My boss frowns but hands me a pack anyway.

"I thought you were trying to quit?"

"I can't quit cold turkey. I need to slowly get off of this stuff," I tell him. I want to quit smoking, I really do. But it's easier said than done. I slip the box in my pocket. Even though the box isn't heavy, I can feel the weight of it in my pocket. We talked for a bit before my boss told me I had to meet someone at noon. I look at the clock. It's now 10 AM. I still have time.

I walk down the streets and light a cigarette. I hesitate before putting it in my mouth knowing that I should really try to stop smoking or at least smoke less. Baby steps. I need to take baby steps, I tell myself. I usually smoke five times a day. I'll try to smoke four times today and see what happens. I scan the shops and finally find a bakery. I walk in and ask if they're hiring. Unfortunately they weren't hiring so I went back out to find another bakery or music shop to apply to.

In the past hour, I was able to find four bakeries and two music shops. Of those six places I visited, only two were hiring. Those applications are in my hand. I bought a sandwich for lunch and went back to my boss' shop to pick up the drugs. It was still not noon yet.

"Here's two grams," my boss said, handing me the white powder. "Meet him at the usual place."

"I will but it's not noon yet," I tell him. "Is it alright if I kill some time at your place? I want to fill these job applications out."

"Go ahead," he said. He looked over my shoulder at the application I was filling out. "Should I be worried?"

I'm startled by his question. "About what?" I ask, turning to face him.

"You're looking for a real job. Will I not be able to count on you to deal drugs anymore?"

"I can still do that for you. I won't be as flexible with my hours anymore, though."

"I was just kidding. And that's fine. I also have Josh."

.

.

*Dani's POV*

I told Rachel about Harry today. She wants to meet him and I told her that she will some day. I'm done with classes for the day. I'm supposed to be heading back to the apartment but I don't go just yet. I need to stop by the homeless shelter and talk to Harry's aunt. She needs to know what's going on. I'm sure she's worried sick thinking I gave up on him.

I look at my watch and it's now 4:35 PM. There are a few people lined up outside the homeless shelter. I walk inside and find Harry's aunt at the front desk. She's on the phone and she's busy scribbling something down on a sheet of paper. I stared out the window to keep myself busy until I heard her hang up.

"You came back," she said. I turned to look at her.

"I promised, didn't I?" I tell her, smiling. She gives me a sad smile in return.

"He hasn't been at the shelter lately. I don't know where he is. I'm worried sick about him," she tells me. "I hope he's okay."

"He's doing just fine," I tell her. "He's with me." Harry's aunt opened her eyes in shock.

"He's with you? He agreed?"

"Yes he did. He's staying at my apartment for now. I'm going to help him quit smoking and drinking. I'm also helping him find a job."

"That's so kind of you. Thank you so much for doing this."

"It's no problem at all. However, I was hoping you could help me with something."

"What is it that you need help with?"

"I don't know a lot about Harry. I was wondering if you could tell me more about him."

"I'll be happy to. Right now is not a good time though since we are going to admit people soon. Is it possible to meet with you later this week?"

"That's fine with me."

"Here's my number," she said, scribbling her number on a piece of paper and handing it to me. "Call me tomorrow morning and we can set up a time and place to meet." I put the piece of paper in my pocket and promised to call her tomorrow morning.

~

It was a quarter past five by the time I got back to the apartment. Harry was sprawled on the couch watching the news.

"How was your day?" he asked, eyes still glued to the TV.

"Good but busy. I had a lot of stuff to do. Sorry for coming back later than expected."

"It's fine. Don't worry about it."

"How was your day?"

"Good," Harry said, sitting up. "I found two stores that were hiring and filled out the application for them."

"That's great!"

"I'm worried about the applications though."

"How come?"

"My contact information is incomplete. I don't have an address or number they can reach me at. I have an email address but I have no way to check my emails."

"You can use this apartment address and my phone number. I also have a laptop you can use to check your email. Problem solved," I tell him. His face brightens up. He slides the papers over to me so I can fill in the apartment address and my number.

"I'm going to turn in the applications first thing tomorrow. I hope I hear back from them soon."

"I hope so too," I tell him.