10. So Far, So Good

*Dani's POV*

I'm sitting on the couch with a million thoughts racing through my mind. Harry is doing his laundry and I'm supposed to be catching up on reading but I can't focus at all. All I can think about is what I'm going to do to fix Harry's problems.

My aspiration is to not live with guilt! To stop smoking and drinking! To not be homeless anymore!

Harry's words are on replay in my mind. Why is he living with guilt? I'll have to ask him about that some day. I can help Harry stop smoking and drinking. There are resources out there just for those purposes. I can send him to a support group. For the homeless situation, I can help him get a job. He'll work for a while and then he'll eventually be able to afford a place of his own.

I realize there is so much I don't know about Harry's life. I know his mom is dead and that his aunt works at the homeless shelter, but that's it. Where's his dad? Does he have any siblings? Why does he refuse to stay with his aunt?

Harry suddenly emerged from the laundry room. "It feels so good to wear clean clothes again," he exclaimed. "So what do you have planned for today?"

"I thought we'd go out. Get new clothes for you and maybe get a haircut?" I say.

"No. I don't want you spending money on me," he quickly responds.

"Is it the money that bothers you?" I ask. "I want you to know that money is not an issue. My dad is a surgeon and my mother a pharmacist. Don't worry about the money. Besides, it's not like we're shopping at Nordstrom or something. I want to get you some nice work clothes."

"Work clothes?" Harry asked hesitantly.

"I want you to find a job."

"I already have a job."

"You do?" I ask in shock. "Where do you work?" I can see panic in Harry's eyes as he scrambles to find an answer to my question. Why is he panicking?

"Forget what I said earlier. I don't have a job," he quickly replies, his eyes still wide with panic. I'm confused but I don't question him further.

~

It's surprisingly easy shopping for Harry. He's not a picky person when it comes to clothes. What's nice is that he knows what he wants so we don't waste any time at the mall. We only had to stop by three stores which is a great achievement in my opinion. We pass a hair salon and I stop walking. Harry doesn't notice and continues walking without me.

"Harry," I said, gesturing him over. "Do you want a haircut?"

"Do I need one?" he asks. "I don't know...I kind of like it at this length." I look at his hair. His hair is at his shoulders.

"It's up to you," I shrug. He smiles.

"Long hair, don't care! As long as I've got shampoo, I'm good."

"At least get something to keep your hair out of your face? Like a hat, bandana, or hair tie?"

"Fine." We walk off to find something to tame his wild hair.

~

We're finally back at the apartment and I'm in the kitchen making stir fry while Harry is outside having a smoke. I frown at the thought of Harry smoking. I will have to address his smoking and drinking problem later on.

"So where am I going to work exactly?" Harry asks as soon as he steps back into the apartment.

I turn to look at him. "What's the highest level of education you've completed?"

"I never graduated from high school." My heart fell at his words. I was hoping he at least finished high school.

"When did you drop out of high school?" I ask.

"A couple months before graduation." Why? He was so close to graduating!

"Why did you do that? You were so close," I lecture him.

"My mum died. That's why." Oh. I wish I could take back what I just said.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't know," I say.

"It's okay. Don't worry about it." We're silent for a while. I finished cooking and went to set up the table.

"Don't worry. There are plenty of places you can apply to," I say, continuing the conversation from earlier. "It all depends on where you want to work. Would you like to work in a restaurant or in retail? Are there any places in particular that you see yourself working in?"

"I'd love to work in a bakery. Or a music shop."

"That's perfect! There are several bakeries near campus and I'm sure there's a music shop down the street. Tomorrow you should stop by and see if they're hiring."

"Sounds good to me."

We sat at the table and ate dinner in silence. It wasn't an awkward silence. It was a nice kind of silence. I was happy at how well things were going so far. He's actually cooperating with me. I suddenly realize I should give him the spare key to my apartment. Even though I've only known him for one day, I trust him.