Chapter 12

I cross out the date on the calendar.

"December 25," I mumble to myself.

I was so disappointed that I was still here especially on Christmas. Elena, Caroline, Bonnie, and I always celebrated Christmas together. And we'd take turns every year to see who would put the star on the tree.

This year it was my turn. Guess none of that matters now though.

I close my eyes inhaling a large breath through my nose and head for the living room.

As I get there I see a bunch of Christmas lights hanging from the ceiling and a Christmas tree.

"Oh hey your up," Kai says entering the living room.

I stand there puzzled for a moment. "Uh did you do all this?" I question.

"Yeah, why?"

"Because..."

He sighs.

"Well, I thought since I forced you to hang out with me on thanksgiving it's the least I could do," Kai's words really don't process through my head.

Why was he being nice?

"Oh I thought you'd be more stoked," He looks sorta hurt.

"No, it's not that It's just that I didn't really think you'd ever do something like this," I admire the ornaments on the tree.

"Well people are full of surprises," He says and my lip quirks up to a slight grin.

"So we're spending Christmas together, who would have thought of that."

...

My mouth waters at the aroma coming from the kitchen. Kai's cooking was always top tier.

Although it did suck that I couldn't be spending this day with my friends, I wasn't exactly sad about spending it with kai either we had grown closer in the time we have spent in the prison world together.

I laugh to myself if someone would have told me I'd be spending Christmas with kai and enjoying I would call them crazy.

I walk over to the box of ornaments.

I grab the star and admire it. It looks like it's made of real diamonds. I mean Stefan and Damon were vampires they could get whatever they wanted whenever they wanted.

The tree wasn't too tall so I could probably just put it on the tree without having to stand on a chair.

I jump but I don't reach it. Ugh.

Kai's POV

I open the oven to see the turkey cooking it was going to be ready soon. Thank god cause I was starving.

I walk into the living room to find Grace struggling to get a star on the tree.

I smile at her failed attempts and a laugh escapes me.

She turns around and looks at me.

"How long were you standing there?" she questions.

"Long enough to see you make a fool of yourself," I say jokingly.

She glares at me and keeps trying.

"Do you want me to help you," she pauses for a second before turning around.

She sighs. "Sure."

I smile gripping her waist and lifting her up. she gasps slightly and I laugh more.

She carefully places the star on the tree.

To be honest I really only did this whole Christmas thing for her. I never really celebrated Christmas in the prison world but I kinda wanted to just make her smile you know after everything I put her through.