Chapter 19

I did my makeup, threw on my favorite knitted seawater, and curled my hair.

Caroline decided to throw Bonnie a surprise birthday party. We all agreed because it seemed like a good plan.

Suddenly my phone buzzes.

The screen reads, Caroline.

"Yes," I say answering the phone.

"I just wanted to make sure you were up."

"Yup, I'm on my way now," I respond to her. I pick up Bonnie's gift box and open my dorm room door.

But to my under surprise, Kai was standing there.

I stand there for a moment speechless.

"Uhh hello, Grace?" Caroline asks.

"Um I got to go," I say quickly hanging up.

"Kai," I say softly.

I study his face his eyes were slightly red. Had he been crying?

"Kai," I say again.

"Um yeah sorry to invade I just needed a favor, but it seems like your busy so I'll just-"

"No," I grab his arm to keep him from leaving, "It's fine, what do you need?"

"Well um," he hands me a letter, "I was wondering if you could give this to Jo."

"You want me to give a letter to Jo?"

"Yeah...I just feel bad about the whole merge thing and luke..." he trails off his sentence and gulps.

"Kai are you okay?" I ask him and he doesn't respond.

I sigh going back into my room and dragging Kai along with me.

I leave bonnie's gift on my nightstand and take a seat on the edge of my bed. I notion my hand for Kai to do the same.

"You know you can talk to me right?"

"Yeah..."

"Okay so talk, what's wrong?"

He inhales a breath. "It's just with this whole merge thing. It was great at first, the feeling of power over everyone but..."

"But what?"

"I think when I merged with Luke I gained some of his traits like...Guilt," he looks down at the floor.

"So you feel guilty?"

"Yeah," He breaths.

"You do realize that's normal right?"

He laughs even though I could tell he was hurting. "Not for me."

"So um if you could give Jo that letter it would mean a lot to me," he removes his direction from the ground to me.

I nod. "Of course."

"Okay then," he stands up, "sorry for just showing up again," he apologizes. It's strange seeing Kai actually being sincere but It's not a bad thing.

"Oh, it's fine."

"What are you dressed up for anyway?" He asks.

"Caroline was throwing this surprise party for Bonnie," I notion to the gift on my nightstand.

"Oh."

Suddenly an idea pops into my head.

"You know, you should come."

He gives me a confused look. "Yeah, I think Bonnie rather not have me at her party."

"No, I don't think she'll mind Bonnie's very forgiving. Plus It will give you a chance to get your mind off of...You know everything," I offer.