Chapter 14

I sat on the couch all night long. I felt too guilty to even sleep.

I need to talk to him. I need to apologize.

I walk up the staircase and once I get to his room I hesitate to knock. I knew he was mad at me but hopefully, it dissolved a bit in his sleep.

I knock twice on his door making sure he would hear it. I hope I wasn't intruding on his sleep cause it was pretty early. But kai was always up early so I don't think I would be.

After about a minute I see the doorknob turn slowly.

I inhale a large breath to embrace myself for what's to come.

He opens the door halfway while rubbing his eyes.

"Um...hey did you maybe wanna-"

"What do you want," he says clearly annoyed.

Ok so maybe this won't go so well.

"Oh um, do you wanna make breakfast together again."

He stares at me like a dear in headlights.

"No thanks," he responds closing the door.

I sigh closing my eyes.

I hated all of this, everything going on. I wish I could go back in time before all of this and change all my past choices.

It's no use just standing here he's still gonna hate me. My eyes started to tear up slightly so I turn around and walk back downstairs.

...

Kai's POV

I felt kinda bad for basically slamming the door in Grace's face but at the same time, I didn't. She deserved it after working with my father behind my back. Like seriously who does that. And I had been so kind to her lately. I guess it didn't mean anything.

I sit back down at the edge of my bed and run my fingers through my hair.

I hear her distant footsteps go down the staircase and feel an empty feeling start to close in on me.

...

After like an hour of doing nothing I became bored. Might as well eat something. I just really don't really want to run into Grace.

I walk downstairs. And thankfully she's not there. As I get to the kitchen I realize I don't have an appetite you know considering everything.

I walk into the living room and spot something on the table.

I eye it closely walking toward it.

Is that the...

"Grace," I call out. I know I shouldn't be talking to her but this is kinda important.

I hear her small footsteps and see her step into the living room.

"Yes," she says.

I pick the small object. "What is this?" I ask.

"What does it look like," she says looking down.

"The ascendant but how did u..."

I slowly come to the realization.

Of course.

"Seriously," I scoff.

"Look Josuah said he'd give me it if I..." she doesn't finish her sentence.

I look down at the ground.

"But hey, now we only need one more thing to get out of here," I look back up as she takes a couple of steps towards me.