Chapter 21

I turn and toss in bed. I could tell it was morning because of the light that was shining through the windows. I groan and turn to the left side of the bed that Kai was sleeping on. But when I open my eyes he's not there.

Huh?

I see the bathroom light on and then my question is answered. Sitting up straight I pick up my phone off the nightstand.

A text from Caroline appears on my screen. But before I can see the message I hear gagging noises coming from the bathroom.

I quickly get up from bed and rush in there. Once I'm there I see Kai hovering over the toilet, throwing up.

My fast twists in disgust but also worry.

"Kai?"

"I'm fine," he says but I can see he clearly isn't.

I walk over to him and place a hand on his shoulder leaning down slightly. He lifts his head up to look at me and I direct my attention to the toilet and see tons of blood. My eyes widen when I look back at him.

"Kai...that doesn't look fine."

"It's probably just a cold," he lies.

I tilt my head a bit aggravated.

"Okay, fine. I think it's probably some weird result of the merge."

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know. I was supposed to get Jo's magic and I got Lukes instead," he shrugs.

I run a hand through my hair. "Okay well, we need to get to Jo's house, now."

"No, we don't."

"Yes, we do. Your clearly unwell," I state.

"She hung up on me, I don't think she wants to talk."

I don't like this. Seeing Kai sick. The thought of losing him...God, I can't even think about that.

"Do you know where she lives?" I ask.

"No, I would need to do a locator spell."

"Well can you do one?"

He laughs but it's more of a breathy sigh. "You really think I can manage that right now."

I release out a large breath before standing up. I walk out of the bathroom to grab my phone.

I quickly dial Alaric's number.

"Hey, Alaric," I say into my phone.

"Hey, Grace it's kind of a bad time."

That's ironic.

"Yeah well, I'm kind of in a situation like that too. Do you happen to be with Jo right now?"

"Yeah she's puking up last night's dinner," he responds.

Oh.

I sigh. "I'm gonna need a favor."

...