Prologue

"So in order to protect us from the capitalists the Soviet Union was so kind to give us the wall to secure our Utopia compared to what the capitalists of the west would give us. The wall was finally raised August 13th, 1961, and ever since it had brought great happiness to us here in the DDR. Keep in mind kids, you won't ever want to leave if you knew the horrendous things they did on the other side of that wall," the teacher finished and closed her books, making everyone snap their heads up from the near-sleep state they all were in.

"But miss," one of the boys raised their hands and our teacher raised her eyebrows at him as for asking him to continue, "why isn't it a collected Germany anymore?"

"Well, you see, Stefan, after the second world war it was decided that Germany had used up so much of it's power that it would have trouble getting back on its feet," our teacher explained before pulling down a worlmap to point at, "so the four countries. The Soviet Union, France, Great Brittain and The United States of America, agreed to divide Germany into four pieces. One part would be what we know as West Germany, and consists of the areas owned by the three Western countries. Our lovely East Germany is owned and well-ruled by The Soviet Union. Any other questions?"

"How come Berlin then be divided into West and East Germany when it is in the middle of East Germany?" another girl raised her hand with a frown.

"When the dividing of the country it was decided that the country that contained the city of Berlin automatically would have the most power, because this is wher the Reichstag is," our teacher explained, "so for fair dividing Berlin was split into two, and it has stayed like that eversince. No more questions?

It went dead silent in the classroom, not anyone raised their hand, making our teacher clap her hands together.

"Then that is it for today. Class dismissed," our teacher stated and happily smiled at us as she packed her things together and we did the same.

"Lianna?" my friend Tania spoke up and I looked to her, "walk home together?"

"You're not going to the West today?" I questioned her as I pulled on my summer coat and she simply shook her head.

"My travelpass has run out, so mom can't send me over to lay flowers for grandma," Tania shook her head and I quietly hummed before nodding my head at her.

Tania and I both lived in the same appartment complex, but on the opposite side of each other. She could watch the street below her and just catch the tram down in the mid-city, meanwhile I... I could look down to the fatal drop from my window and down into No-Man's-Land.

"The summer is finally coming in a proper manner," Tania smiled as we stepped out from the school and she looked up towards the blue sky that April was showing us, "I don't need this today," she stated and pulled off her summer coat.

"Are you sure? You know how the weather has moodswings," I pointed out and she let out a small laugh before shaking her head and just smiling down at me.

"What do you think about mrs. Wagner's history lesson today?" she questioned and I just shrugged before glancing around.

"It was alright," I excused, "I would like for us to learn about you know... maybe where I'm from. It's a communist country, so I don't exactly see a problem in learning about China."

"Well, try and suggest it," Tania reminded and nudged my shoulder before I let out a small laugh.

"It's enough my  dad glared at a Stasi member the other day," I shook my head at her, "we don't want to be investigated more than we already are."

"All because he wanted that milk," Tania sighed and shook her head as I let out a laugh at her.

"Oi... Anna!" a boy's voice called out and I turned around at the mention of my Western nickname.

"If you're so in love with her Mark just tell her," Tania mocked, making Mark just grimace at her. Oh the sibling love there is between the Müller twins.

"What is it? Do I have to suffer from you on my way home as well?" I questioned as Mark looked back to me.

"I saw your mom," he shook his head and I just continued to stare at him, "the Stasi... they were with her."

"Where?" my eyes immediately widened as I began looking around in confusion.

"The gates," Mark pointed out and I immediately turned to look down at the gates to the school, immediately spotting the long grey vehicle, where my mom stood along with a tall pale man dressed in the usual uniform we tried so hard to avoid.

"Shit," I muttered before setting into a run while I held my satchel close to my chest, quickly rushing up to my mom, who hugged me tight, "what is happening mom?"

"Get in the car," one of the uniformed men beside my mom spoke and I just glanced at him before doing as told and getting in the car with mom.

The door was closed after us and I quickly sat down and held mom's hand tightly as she let out a shaky breath.

"Where's dad?" I questioned her and she just shook her head, letting me get an idea of what was happening immediately, "oh-"

Little did I know that this was just the beginning of a long time of being surveillanced by the Stasi Police.