| 25 |

I could hear the door unlock as I sat with Seojun in my lap, quietly giving him bottle once again. My head perked up as more than one person's footsteps echoed throughout the appartment.

At the reminder that it could easily be officers looking for Easterners I quickly lowered my head and maintained eyecontact with Seojun as he drunk of his bottle.

"You good?" Sunoo's voice questioned and I immediately looked up to see him standing in the doorway to the kitchen, running a hand through his hair as he pulled his jacket off with his other.

"Yeah... I just... I thought it was the officers," I whispered and he smiled softly before walking in and sitting down at the table, quickly pushing up his specs that he had begun wearing regularly since I had mentioned that I liked how they looked on him.

"Look... I've been going to school for a few days now, and not once did I see an officer from the East out there," Sunoo admitted and I looked over at him in disbelief, "so I think... the two of us should try and go out on a date tomorrow, it should be safe."

"Yeah and it'll be lovely weather," another voice commented as Jungwon walked into the kitchen and laid a piece of folded paper on the table.

He clamly loosened his tie a bit before sitting down by the table again, calmly looking at the piece of folded paper he had laid on the table, meanwhile Sunoo and I awaited answers on what it was.

"Dad gave it to me," he quickly realized we weren't catching onto what was happening, "he uhm... he works with the other Western countries to investigate on what has been happening in the East and their regime," Jungwon excused as he scratched the back of his neck, "I told him that I had a friend that just came from the East and that both her parents were taken by the Stasi... he got me a list of executed prisoners and prisoners that have mysteriously disappeared. Disappeared as in there's record for them being in the prison but no record for what happened to them and now they're completely gone... I thought... if it is a worst case scenario it would be better the faster you knew."

"Jungwon I don't think-" Sunoo started to shake his head and picked up the folded papers.

"Thank you... I really needed that," I whispered as I gave Jungwon a small nod, "I'll look at it later."

"Are you sure?" Sunoo questioned with raised eyebrows at me.

"Well, he's right... the sooner I know... the better," I nodded as I placed the empty bottle, Seojun had been drinking from, on the table.

I quietly wiped off Seojun's mouth before softly bouncing him in my arms, waiting for him to fall asleep. I didn't look at any of the boys when I heard a small sigh escape one of them and one got up from their chair, that scratched against the floor.

"I'll take him to his crib, you two look at those lists," Jungwon stated and extended his arms towards me.

I slowly let Seojun glide over into his arms and he smiled softly at the sight of the baby in his arms. Jungwon quietly walked out of the kitchen keeping his eyes on Seojun as he walked carefully through the kitchen and out towards the room where Seojun's crib stood.

"You really wanna see the list?" Sunoo questioned and I quietly nodded as I looked at the piece of paper in front of me, "well, I can't stop you."

I let out a small laugh before reaching my hand over and grabbing the folded paper. I glanced over at Sunoo as he leaned back in his chair and just nervously sat and rubbed his fingers across his lips, his eyes fixated on the papers in my hand before he glanced up at me and gave me a small nod to keep going.

I let out a deep breath before quietly opening the first piece of paper, a list over prisoners whose destiny hasn't been record. A small frown grew on my face as I let my eyes glide down over the piece of paper, hoping to find any name I recognized, and at the same time not hoping so.

"No luck?" Sunoo quietly questioned as I folded the paper together, having seen nothing I recognized.

"No," I whispered as he moved his chair closer to mine and helped me grab the next piece of paper.

I slowly unfolded it, this time with a bit more shaky hands. I feared it was gonna be a list of executed people, but it was only another list of disappeared prisoners.

"They won't be there... I'm sure of it," Sunoo assured softly as my eyes just scanned down over each name, "we'll find them when they let the political prisoners go."

I quietly hummed as my eyes reached the end of the page and I froze in my spot, which Sunoo immediately realized. He softly placed a hand on my shoulder and gave it a small squeeze.

"You there?" Sunoo softly questioned.

"Do you have a pen?" I simply replied and he quickly reached into the pocket of his school blazer, handing me a small pencil. I quickly underlined the last name of the page, holding my breath as I did.

Fàn Jiang Hui

I quietly slid the piece of paper over to the side and grabbed the third, and last, paper of the bunch. There was no doubt the moment I opened it, probably because of the big title at the top of the page. It truly wasn't a lot of names, but it still made up a list. 

It was the list of the executed people.

Sunoo stayed completely silent as I scanned the page and stopped in my tracks once again. This was the only list I didn't wanna see any recognizeable names on. At my hesitation Sunoo had immediately laid a hand on my back and softly rubbed it before I underlined another name.

Zie Ju Yan

I let out a small sigh as I leaned back in my char and rubbed a hand down over my face, quietly looking over at Sunoo, whose eyes were fixated on the last list.

"They... your mom..." he slowly trailed off and I just nodded as I pursed my lips, "and for what?"

"Speaking in Mandarin by accident," I slowly replied as I sucked in a deep breath and looked down at my lap, where my hands laid, "but dad might be alive... that's good I guess."

"I'll ask Jungwon to see if he can get the reports and documents on your parents... maybe it'll give you come clearance about everything," he softly spoke and rubbed my back as I just nodded and sucked in a deep breath, "come on... you need rest."

He quickly got up from his chair and slipped an arm under my knees and over behind my back, somewhat easily lifting me up. I hadn't really expected him to be able to do that, but in the moment I didn't care. I quickly reached up and wrapped my arms around his neck, burrying my face into his shoulder as I slowly let tears escape and fall down onto his shoulder.

For all I knew I could be parent-less.