| 22 |

My eyes slowly fluttered open when something was shaking my shoulder softly. For once in my life I wanted to stay in bed forever, I had never slept in a bed as nice and warm as the one I had slept in that night. 

"Lin," a small laugh escaped as Sunoo called out my name, "dad got breakfast ready."

"I don't really feel like it today," I murmured and reached over to wrap one of my arms around his chest.

"Come on... I gotta go to school today," he let out a small laugh and I abruptly sat up.

"I should be going to school too," I panicked at him and he slowly sat up and brushed my hair back and out of my face.

"Dad and I agreed that if I managed to find you out in the chaos yesterday, then we would get you enrolled in the same school as me," Sunoo insisted and I just stared at him, "and we agreed that by how you were last night, it's best if you rest a bit for now... you've been very restless throughout the night."

"Sorry," I sighed deeply before leaning my head against the wall beside Sunoo's bed, while he pushed himself up on his elbow.

"It's fine... it just got me worried," he admitted as I glanced down at him, "you were tossing and turning a lot... whimpering too..."

"Look Sunoo, I'm so sorry. I promise it won't happen again," I rambled making a small smile spread on his face.

"I never said it was a problem, I just pointed out to you that it's the reason I think it would be best for you to rest a bit for now," he softly spoke as he reached up and brushed my hair over my shoulder, "now... take your sweater, because our dinning room can get a bit cold, and then come with me out to eat breakfast."

"Did your dad tell you there was breakfast?" I quietly questioned and Sunoo just nodded.

"He looked in to check whether or not we were awake, but you were out dead," he let out a small laugh as I felt my cheeks heat up from embarrassment, "it's fine, he thought it was cute that you held so tightly onto me. He said it reminded him of my mom and him... from when he escaped the North after the Korean war."

"Oh," I murmured.

"Same us as... my dad escaped from North Korea to South Korea after the Korean war... now you've escaped from East Germany to West Germany around the end of the Cold War," he smiled softly before pulling on a pair of knitted socks and handing me my sweater.

"Sunoo?" I called out and he hummed as he turned to look at me, "where is your mom?" I carefully questioned and he just smiled softly before standing up and reaching a hand out to help me up from the bed.

"The North wanted dad back," he excused as he grabbed my sweater and helped force it down over my head, "but seeing as they couldn't have him... they didn't want anyone to have him... so my mom wasn't that popular with the North Korean Government, didn't end so well."

"I'm sorry," I spoke as I pulled my har out of my sweater and he let out a small laugh.

"Hey, what can you do about it?" he questioned in amusement, "it was my dad's fault for falling in love with a Southern woman, that would end up sacrificing her life for his freedom."

I stayed quiet as I looked at Sunoo walking over and opening the door out of his room. If he said his parents' story was the same as ours that surely wouldn't mean-

"Sunoo, promise me to not do anything stupid for my freedom," I spoke up and he looked over at me with a wide smile on his face.

"If the East wants you back then they have to force you out of my grip, too bad for them," he excused and nodded out to the hallway outside of his bedroom, "now come on... you'll love it."

I smiled softly as Sunoo extended his hand towards me and I let my hand slip into his as he guided the way towards a room where a lovely smell emitted from. Sunoo carefully pulled me in after him as I quietly tried to hide behind him, while still glancing at all the food that stood on the dinining table in front of us.

"That must be Lin," a male voice spoke and I carefully looked over to a warm looking man sitting and smiling towards me, now I get where Sunoo got that warm smile from.

"Yeah," I quietly nodded and I could hear Sunoo let out a small laugh, which made me glance up at him while he just smiled down towards me.

"Please do sit, we're not that formal here," his dad immediately spoke and I smiled slightly before just nodding and carefully sitting down in a chair before Sunoo did, "is there any food you don't know what is?" he questioned and gestured around to the table, which I immediately let my eyes glide over.

"Only things I don't think I've had in a long time... or ever had, but I know what it is," I excused and he let out a small laugh at me.

"Wait... what have you never had before?" Sunoo questioned in shock as I immediately raised my hand and pointed to the table.

"Bacon, right?" I questioned and he slowly nodded, "yeah, mom and dad didn't like it that much so we never got it and there was sort of the impression that Bacon was very American and you know... the West wasn't good."

"Ah sounds just like how it used to be in North," his dad let out a small chuckle, "here no food is off bounds Lin, please do eat whatever you desire from this table."

"You have been eating more than when I was in the East, right?" Sunoo questioned and I glanced at him with a confused face, "you only had bread, butter and apples."

"Oh... well, I had to pay some rent... I could afford some chicken though," I shrugged and Sunoo immediately pursed his lips at me.

"Well... then it's a good thing we have so much food you can dig into," Sunoo's dad spoke and I smiled widely before beginning to take food over on my plate, "Sunoo is going to school later and I'm going to work, I hope you're alright with looking a bit after Seojun."

"Oh yeah, no problem," I quickly assured.

"I think my co-workers would be happy that I don't bring a baby along anymore," he excused with a small laugh, to which I just nodded.

"I'll take good care of him," I assured with a small smile to which just happily smiled in return.

I actually was surprised by how welcome I was and how warm of a home it was even though it was only father and son, plus Seojun. I felt very much at home all of a sudden.