| 18 |

I quietly sat in my windowsill, my book in my lap. I hadn't pulled myself together to even open it yet. Instead of reading I had continously glanced back and forth between No Man's Land and Sunoo's room. Hoping to see the happy boy in his window at any point, but he never was there when I looked.

My fingers lowly tapped on my book in a way to deal with my impatience, all until I saw movement in the room across from mine, and I immediately lifted my head a bit more to watch closer.

Soon enough Sunoo's face showed in his window. He looked to be letting out a sigh before running a hand through his hair and ruffling it softly, thrashing it from side to side. I smiled softly at the sight.

Sunoo placed his hands on his hips and looked around himself before slowly looking over at my room. I smiled widely at the sight of him and lifted my hand to wave, to which he hesitantly replied.

I slowly let my hand drop at the clear change in his attitude, and so did my smile. I quietly scratched the side of my nose as I watched him sit down by his desk and get out some books, making me look down at the one that laid in my lap.

I let out a deep sigh before hesitantly opening the book and continuing from where I left, before mom was taken away. I don't really think that I absorbed the words that was on the page, it was more like my eyes slid over the words instead of actually reading them.

Pulling me out of my thoughts a loud bang echoed throughout the appartment, making me immediately straighten up and look towards the door to my room, that stood wide open. My book immediately closing as I did so.

"Stasi. Who is in the appartment?" a voice boomed out and my heartrate immediately sped up.

"Here," I hesitantly called out as I eagerly looked around my room, in search of anything that could get me into trouble, but there was nothing.

Loud footsteps echoed through the appartment and two big men soon stood in my bedroom and looked at me. Meanwhile I just looked at them in confusion.

"May I help you?" I questioned before one of them walked straight up and hit me across the face, my book falling out of my hands and onto the floor.

"Due to the investigation of your parents the Stasi has decided to put you under heavy surveillance," the other man, who still stood behind the other, "you will coorporate while we're here, any protesting will be punished."

"The bed- and bathroom will go without cameras, right?" I quietly questioned and my arm was immediately harshly grabbed and I was pulled to my feet.

One of the officers immediately gave me a slap across the other side of my face, letting me fall back down where I sat just before.

I could only watch in silence as they started with setting up and connecting the surveillance cameras in my bedroom. As one of the officers left to set up the other cameras the other stayed in my room with me.

I glanced at the officer before picking up my book from the floor and glancing out the window. I was able to quickly glance over towards Sunoo's room, said boy keeping his head bent down over his books while glancing up at me once in a while.

A small huff escaped me before I looked down at my book and opened it, searching for the place where I had left off when they came. As long as it took I still didn't dare looking up at the officer standing in the room with me.

I anxiously tapped my finger on the back of my book as I found the place I had reached. The tapping of my finger was more of a way to calm myself down and keep my focus on my book and not on the chance of the officers finding any trace of Sunoo in the appartment.

"All cleared," the second officer came back to my room and glanced weirdly at me before the other officer nodded and followed him out of the appartment.

As I heard the front door open I let out a heavy sigh, probably from me almost holding my breath through the whole thing.

I slowly brought my book up to my face to hide the fear on my face from the cameras. I quietly held my book up by my face before turning my head to look over towards Sunoo's room. He immediately held up a hand and formed an 'O' with his fingers, as if asking if I was okay. I quietly nodded before bringing a hand up to press my thumb under both my eyes, stopping my tears from falling further down my face.

I was so incredibly scared now.