| 5 |

I quietly sat in the window on the eigth floor, an abandoned appartment after the Stasi police had been investigating the people living here a year ago. There was still abandoned cameras and microphones around the appartment, but they had all been disconnected ages ago, judging by the mess of cords that was in the middle of the living room. Still I pulled my beanie down further so it nearly covered my eyes as my scarf got tighter around my nose and mouth, hiding my identity from the guard towers. 

I glanced at my wristwatch, just one more minute and the plan would go into action once more. I let out a small sigh before glancing over across from where I sat and saw Sunoo standing in his window and looking around. I immediately waved my hand and his eyes landed on me, a frown immediately growing on his face before I held my hand up over my mouth to signal him to just stay silent as I opened the window in front of me and looked down along the wall standing just below the building.

My eyes immediately fixed on the group of people that had paid me to help them escape. They all looked up to me and gestured they were ready. I quickly looked up at the guard tower standing to my other side and looked at the guard standing there, his rofle clutched tightly in his hands.

I watched as the guard slowly turned his back towards me and I immediately waved for the group to begin climbing over the wall and down into No Man's Land, wherein they would have to get by multiple obstacles, completely unnoticed by the guard in the tower, almost right out from the window I was sitting in. My eyes stayed glued on the guard as I once in a while glanced at the group quietly moving across the few 6 to 7 meters there was between the Eastern wall and the Western wall.

I kept a close eye as the group reached teh electric fence with alarms. If they didn't get past this properly, like Mark had explained to them, they would set off the alarms and then they would have to run while I had to work hard and possibly get caught in the act of trying to help them. 

A small breath escaped me as I saw the whole group get over the fence and I looked back to the tower just to catch the guard slowly turning around again. I quickly grabbed the nearest stone I had gathered up in the room before throwing it with all my might and heard the small cling of it hitting one of the windows in the guard tower. I quickly ducked away once the guard turned to look my way and first peeked out once I was sure enough time had passed for him to look away again.

By then the group had reached the "Death Strip" or what in reality just was a sand bank. This was the spot most people reached before they were shot dead by the guards in the watch towers. They were nearly finished now and my heartrate immediately sped up as I watched the first person get hoisted up to the edge of the wall to escape over into West Berlin, laying flat down on the edge and reaching down to help pull the next person up.

I quickly looked back towards the guardtower and saw the guard turning once again. I grabbed another rock and threw it once again hitting the window. This time he had to see me in order for the group to get over safely. The guard turned around and immediately saw me as I eagerly waved and subtly glanced to the group, that was struggling to get a small kid up to the person laying on top of the wall.

Looking back at the guard I quickly realized he was talking into his walkie, so this is now I run and hide all cues to me being guilty in the attempt of helping some people escape. Luckily for me I knew the family that once lived in this apartment and knew there was a hidden hallway down into my room.

I quickly rushed out to the bathroom in the apartment I was in and crawled in through the sink's cupboard, quickly being met by a slim hallway, I barely could fit in as I crawled down the stairs while ridding me of my beanie and scarf, including the oversized jacket I had been wearing. I kicked open the door at the end of the slim hallway and looked right out into my room, which I quickly stumbled into.

I slammed the door close behind me and pushed my bookshelf over in front of it as I ran a hand through my hair and let it fall down around my shoulders. A loud bang echoed from my window and I immediately flinched before looking over towards it, quickly seeing Sunoo standing and staring wide eyed down at No Man's Land before he looked up to me.

I was about to approach the window when the front door to the appartment kicked open and my heart immediately stopped as a loud yell erupted out in the appartment. At least mom was working.

"Stasi Police, remain calm!" I stood quietly looking at my room door, just waiting for it to be kicked open and I immediately had to remind myself that I did in fact close the cupboard up in the bathroom on the eigth floor.

Soon enough my door burst open and an angry man immediately looked at me as I just smiled at him and pulled down the sleeves of my sweater.

"How may I help you sir?"