26- Forgotten Memories

Grace POV

"You're such a pathetic little girl. You always were and thats why we did what we did. Now tell me how does it feel to be a killer?" Reyes questions me. I'm taken back with his outbreak. I start scrambling for words inside my brain trying to figure out what to say. I look to my right and see both teams looking at me with confusion lingering in their eyes. As my eyes flutter around the room they somehow found their way to Mason's. I'm hit with a distant memory that I didn't even know I had.

Flashback To The Rooftop

"Am I a bad person for doing all this?" I ponder "What? Grace you can't be serious right now. You're the blaze." "What does that mean?" "Blaze? It means that you are this sudden burst of flame. No one can destroy you. You're a force to be reckoned with. You have this intensity to you. You will never burn out." "I'm not understanding what you are saying, Mason. Remember I'm drunk at this very moment." I say half-jokingly. "You're the siren, the exit door for the world's destruction" "I'm the problem, a killer even. I've made and continue to make mistakes." "They are the best mistakes. You're like a left hook. Essential to a fighter." " I'm a battered jaw, Mason. What a fighter doesn't want. I'm the underlying pain that everyone hates and wants to get rid of."

"You're the fucking metaphor Grace. You wear a cape like a hero but you're also the villain. Or how you're a good gun in a bad man's war. You're a preacher and a sinner." "I'm broken, Mason." "Of course you are. Hell, I am too. But you're taking your broken pieces and using them to piece back the world. It's the fact that you are broken that makes you perfect." I sit there in awe as the words pour out of Mason's mouth like how water pours out of a water fountain. "Grace, you are paving the way." "How so?" I question Mason. "You're making this world a better place. You're taking out one of the biggest mafia leaders who kill for fun. You're allowing people to live without fear. Little girls will look up to you because you're showing them they can be whoever they want to be no matter who says anything especially when society tells them they could never be who they want to be. You make me believe in a greater world." I sit there in silence as I stare out onto the night sky watching the stars dance with each other. I let Mason's words soak up my alcohol leaving me soberer than when he came outside. I listen to Mason as he speaks so kindly about me.

Buts that isn't me. I'm one of the devil's spawns. I was born dangerous but raised to know better. But I still fight with the daggers I was given at birth. "Mason I'm not who you say I am, I'm-" "Nope it is too late for you to change my mind." He stops me from speaking as he informs me about his thoughts. I drift away from the night sky to face Mason. Mason has the same thoughts as me. We become face to face with each other. I tilt my head to the side slightly. Mason copies me jokingly and shows me a grin. A giggle slips out and an alcohol laugh overtakes it as I laugh at Mason's silliness. As my laugher dies down I start to speak up again. "I don't see what you see in me, Mason." "Grace the world needs a hero to save us. We need someone willing to take the same risks you are. You might feel and think you are doing something horrible but look at the bigger picture. But I can't change how you see yourself. You're what you want to believe in" "I don't see what you see in me, Mason." I speak truthfully "You're not there yet. You will see."

End Of Flashback

Automatically my brain starts forming sentences and I start speaking without thinking. "You say I'm the problem, the killer. But I'm the end, I'm the beginning, the apocalypse, I'm the future. I am something from nothing. When I was in the wilderness looking for my purpose. I became a goddamn butterfly. You were throwing sticks and stones at me but I could never break. I spread my wings and I'm flying now. There is nothing left for you to do. You told me to lose myself individually. You told me what I should or shouldn't do. You can't take my soul or freedom." The words seem to just flow right out of me.