Chapter 15 - I Love You

We went to dinner at a really nice place called Se Souvenir de Moi. We acted like kids by making faces at the waiters behind their backs and laughing way too loudly. Eventually we were chucked out for being so loud.

Next the limo took us to a club. It was called Vamos a Ponerlo en and it was the first time I’d ever been to a club. The booming of the bass coming out of the speakers twice the size of me ran through my body as I danced with George. Though the club was stuffy and loud, I still felt as if it was only me and George in our own little bubble. Suddenly our bubble was broken by the sound of the DJ’s voice.

“Alright, for our next song we’re going to bring it down a bit and play a classic. It’s Avril Lavigne Complicated,” the DJ boomed to his microphone.

I wave of nostalgia came at me like a real wave of water. That song used to be my favourite song when I was 7. I had actually got Avril Lavigne’s Album Let Go with that song on it for my seventh birthday. I couldn’t believe that had been 11 years ago and now I was close to have sex with the boy I’d had a celebrity crush on since I’d first seen him in his first audition.

George raised his eyebrows with his mouth wide. That was the usual reaction I got when I told people I liked her but I didn’t care. But I didn’t really like her music now because it’s less punk and more pop.

We danced to it and he bent down and kissed me. I guessed that was the signal that it was time to go. I grabbed my hand and barged through the crowd to the door. I was surprised that no one had spotted us, like a fan or the paparazzi. It was wonderful because it gave me and George time together.

The limo ride home was intense with romance. When we got to the house we almost ran to the door. We opened the door quietly, but this time we weren’t greeted by arms of hugs it was just an empty lounge lit by a single lamp.

George kissed me again. His kissed seemed to contain something that I had never felt with any other boy. It was like he was always so happy to see me. We moved over to the door and before we’d even got there I felt George’s hand slipping to unzip my dress. We reach the bedroom, and we went in and George closed the door. Then the best night of my life really started…

*    *     *

I opened my eyes to the faint light of the sun coming through the curtains. George’s arms were around me, which made me feel safe. I then noticed he was awake.

“Morning babes, just watching you sleep. You look beautiful when you sleep but then you always do,” he said.

“I always find it kind of creepy when people do that,” I said but smiled at him anyway.

“Okay, I’m a creep. That’s not going to make me stop,” he said with a similar smile on his face.

I turned then to face him.

I got carried away in his brown eyes and said something I would have never normally have said, “I love you.”

CRAP! Why did I say that, I thought to myself. I expected an awkward look and probably a break up on the horizon. The recurring thought of the relationship going too fast came back into my mind and that last statement probably hadn’t helped that.

But George just smiled at me and brought me closer to him in a tight hug. It was as if he was happy I had said that, like he’d wanted me to say that since the first day he’d met me.

“I love you too. Rachel, you are my reason to carry on with my life,” he said. The words felt right to hear from him. It would have sounded lame and tacky coming from anyone else, but when he said it, the words felt like the words of Shakespeare’s best plays all put together into one sentence.