Chapter 17 - Live While We're Young

As school finished and I finally finished my exams I started to spend more and more time with George, and less and less time with my friends.

My mum had dropped off a bin bag full of all of my stuff a week after our fight. JJ had to go get it from my mum because I refused to talk to her. JJ had become a really good friend ever since the other night. I guessed he must have seen something wrong with his life and decided to change it.

I would try and spend every moment with George. I could see that from an outsider’s point of view this was soppy and quite annoying that I did this, but I literally couldn’t. Whenever I wasn’t with him I felt like I was only half of myself, like George owned my other half.

One day I was sitting on the sofa watching crappy TV with JJ, Jaymi and Josh. George had just gone out to grab some Doritos, when Josh grabbed the remote and turned the TV off.

“Hey!” I said sarcastically, “Thingy was about to do something and I was looking forward to it.”

Josh laughed, “Hey guys, you know George’s birthday is tomorrow?”

We all sighed, “Of course I do!!” We all said nearly at the same time.

“Well, I thought we’d through a big party. Invite One Direction and all the old X Factor lot. It will be great!” Josh said enthusiastically.

I started jumping with the idea of a party including a lot of famous people.

JJ added, “With lots of booze and girls and stuff?” I seemed to be joking but I could tell he really wanted to know.

Josh took one look at JJ and started singing Live While We’re Young, “Let’s go crazy, crazy, crazy ‘til we see the sun. I know we only met but let’s pretend its love,” we all then joined in for the next bit.

And never, never, never stop for anyone. Tonight let’s get some…and live whie we’re young!” we sang and then fell down laughing.

“Okay,” Jaymi said taking charge of project party, “Josh you are in charge of inviting people. JJ you are in charge of alcohol. I will be in charge of food. And Rachel, you will be in charge of keeping him out of the house for tomorrow.”

We all nodded and separated as we began to plan what we were going to do.

When George came back he found me playing on my phone. I was trying to Josh’s high score on Fruit Ninja. I think I was taking the game a bit too seriously and I was hunched over my phone frowning. George laughed when he saw me and I straightened up and slipped the phone inside my pocket. It was about 10.30 and I hadn’t noticed how long I’d been playing Fruit Ninja.

“Hey, babes! You know it’s your birthday tomorrow?” I asked him.

“Yeah…” he said.

“Well…what you want to do?” I asked.

“I don’t care as long as I’m with you,” he said.

I huffed and walked towards our bedroom to get a jumper because I was tired. George followed me.

“What?” he asked seeing I was a bit frustrated.

“You’re always acting so…soppy romantic and it’s bugging me!” I said not knowing that it frustrated me until now.

“Well, what do you want me to do stop being in love with you?” George asked in a loud voice obviously hurt.

“No, I just…” I sat down on the bed. I realised tears were coming out of my eyes. All the anger was gone out of George’s eyes and replaced with worry.