The Four Of Us

Luca POV:

I sighed. Guilia had told us that my parents wanted to see me urgently.

After a long scolding from my parents, very very very long, I was free to do whatever I wanted to for the rest of the day. I had promised them that I would go back tonight.

I waited for my them at the seaside. I ran my hand along the railing, which protected children from jumping off, the railing was still bent and crooked from when Alberto had crashed the bike. I smiled at the bittersweet memory and I rest on my forearms laid on the railing. I perk up at the sounds behind me but I didn't look back.

Alberto joined me followed by Guilia then Oliver. We had been introduced the night before so I was more comfortable with him being around us all of a sudden.

It was about 6 or maybe a bit later and I only had 1 or 2 more hours with them so I wanted to make the most of it. It had been the most company I had had in a while and I wasn't complaining.

I wondered how they had been while I was gone. I finally asked Oliver what I had wanted to ask him for a while, "Hey, Oliver?" He turned to me with a smile, "When did you and Alberto meet?"

I saw Alberto stiffen a little but relax quickly. "Well..." He looked up at the sky pondering, "Probably around the time when those who had school left because I didn't see you or Guilia when I met him" I just nodded.

"Luca" Guilia called out, "So will you still be going to school this year?" She asked. "No, I don't think I will. I don't see the point anymore, I missed so much and it would probably be impossible for me to catch up." Guilia put her hand on my shoulder, "Yeah you did miss quite a bit" She smiled at me.

I smile back at her sadly, "Sorry by the way" She looked at me confused, "Sorry? Sorry for what Luca?" I sigh, "For making you guys worry, for making you sad."

"Oh Luca..." I look back out at the scenery in front of me, "It's not your fault, you know that." She looked back at Alberto as he sheepishly scratched the back of his head.

Reluctantly, Alberto moved up beside me. "Luca... I know that we... Well, we have tension. I don't know if it will ever go away or something but I just wanted you to know that, we care about you, I care about you." I nod as a response.

Alberto POV:

He still has some form of grudge against me and Oliver, I can just feel it. BUT! That won't stop me from having fun with my friends, old AND new.

Luca stands up straight and he hoisted himself onto the railing and he stood on it. "W-Woah! Luca! Careful." Guilia warned him nervously, I'll admit I was scared too. Not because I was scared he was going to fall, but scared that he was going to leave again.

I grunt as I also hoist myself onto the railing.

"Beautiful huh?" He asks me while looking at the sunset. "Yeah..." I reply, "Where have you been all this time by the way?" This time he looked at me.

"Exploring the world. I've been to so many places." He sat himself on the bar and continued, "Places we talked about going to, when we wanted to leave here on a Vespa. Funny huh? It's been what 4 years since then."

Oliver POV:

They were close, I know they used to be lovers and all but they seemed so close despite all that had happened. I'll admit, it made me a little jealous.

Some part of me still longed for Alberto, his touch, his lips.

We were just friends now but I still feel something towards him. But they were together again, I was scared. Scared that I had lost my one chance of having a perfect relationship.

I know I told Alberto that we could just be friends but deep down I knew I didn't want that. I wanted him to myself.

They were bonding along the railing as I stood back leaning against a wall. Giulia walked up to me.

Giulia POV:

As I walk up to Oliver I could tell something was wrong. "What's wrong?" I ask, "Why would you assume something was wrong?" He raised his eyebrow at me. "I've been friends with you for long enough to know something was going on in that head of yours." I flick his forehead with my finger and he rubs it in pain.

"So? What's wrong?" I ask again, "I just- Maybe I still have feelings for Alberto y'know. And there's this sort of instinct to be with him, but I know it wouldn't be good for us to be together. I can't force him to love someone when he loves another." Oliver explains.

"Wow" He looks at me confused, "What?" He asked "You just never open up like that usually." I state, "Well it wouldn't be good to keep all that bottled up now would it? Just, could you keep this between us please?" I nod, "Of course."

Luca POV:

It was nice, just me and Alberto talking. But I didn't want the others to feel left out.

"But anyways Luca, apart from that not much has changed here." I nod then turn back to the others, "Oliver, Guilia." I call out, I get down from the railing. "Have you guys shown Oliver the island yet?" I ask, Alberto comes and stands beside us. "No not yet why?" Guilia replies.

"Because... I'LL RACE YOU THERE!" I shout as I run off and jump over the railing, "HEY NO FAIR!" I hear Alberto shout after me and I laugh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We were all panting on the shore of the island.

"I won" I manage out between huffs of breath, "No fair, you had a head start." Alberto whines, "Well not my problem you're slow. You could have caught up if you were faster." Alberto and I were about the same speed so we made it to the island first followed by Oliver and Guilia who surprisingly were only about 2 minutes behind us.

"Well then," I say standing up with a grunt, "Time to feel some nostalgia." I walk up the hill seeing the old tower pop into view. It felt more homey and new, I ran my hand over all the uneven rocks on the exterior of the tower as I made my way around.

I reached the ladder which looked new and wasn't made up of scrap metal, "I only saw this from afar so I never noticed how new all of this was" I said not caring if anyone could hear me or not.

"Yeah it's all pretty new. I asked Massimo for some stuff and paint and just redid the tower." I just looked up at the tower, "Well then, what are we waiting for let's go up!" Guilia exclaimed as she started to climb the ladder eagerly.

Oliver laughed and followed her, "Wait up!" Alberto called up after the two disappeared into the tower. He climbed onto the first step he reached his hand out to me, "Coming?" I hesitated, "I'll- I'll catch up with you guys." I reply as I turn back to the sea, "Mmmm... 'Kay, just no running away anymore" He joked as he made his way up the ladder, I chuckle.

I walk towards the shore and let the waves engulf my feet in the sand.

There was this sort of feeling I had, a feeling of bliss and happiness. Oh right, this is what it was like to be free. 

Free...