7. The bad thing about flowers...

Even after showering, I was cold from my romp in the lake. As I exited the bathroom, hair heavy and damp against my turtleneck, I glanced out into the living area. It was only Blake there. The blonde girl's gaze lifted from her book as she folded the corner of her page. An impish smile stretched across her cheeks as she stood and hugged the book to her stomach.

"Heya, Vee. How're you holding up?"

"Fine."

"It looks like the headmistress wants a word. Here." Blake tugged a weighted square of paper from between the pages of her book and handed it over.

My name was in ink on the front with a request that I come to her office. No time was specified. It was a little late for a visit, but that probably still meant as soon as possible. Who was I to challenge the headmistress?

"It's in the tower. You just go all the way up."

I assumed she meant the one overlooking the quad and not some mystery tower on the lower campus. "Thanks."

"Yep." She approached the front door. "I'm gonna go meet some friends, so I'll see you in a little while."

After three flights of questionably steep stairs, I stood before a pair of mahogany doors

After three flights of questionably steep stairs, I stood before a pair of mahogany doors. They rose as high as the ceiling and were wide enough for an elephant to pass through. I approached it, a little apprehensive, and knocked. The wood was so thick that my knock made no real sound at all. I thought to try again but the doors slid open to reveal a round room with half walls and an atrium. Curling metal accents that looked like vines took up the space between each window. The view in all directions was glorious, especially in the last light of day.

"Miss Tate," Haywood said, waving me in from behind a solid, wood desk. "Come in, come in."

I did as she asked and the doors slid shut with a solid thump before an unknown number of locks clicked into place. My sneakers squeaked against the misty, green tiles as I approached the chairs at her desk. They looked stiff, but I was pleasantly surprised upon sitting to find a wealth of comfort.

"How are you feeling, dear?"

"Fine, thanks."

Haywood smiled, her eyes creasing into crescent moons. "I'd like to start with an apology. There is no acceptable excuse or circumstance for the behavior Professor Briggs displayed. I've spoken with your parents. They feel you should stay, but you are welcome to choose. You do wish to stay, don't you?"

The idea of leaving to find a school where no one knew about my curse was tempting. The problem? I didn't have the luxury of picking another school and starting there whenever I'd like. Besides, I liked working at my speed and I was comfortable enough in my routine so far. "I'll stay."

"Excellent." Haywood clapped. "I've waived your tuition for the year—an apology on my part for allowing you to fall into danger."

Hard not to like that. My spine straightened against the chair's back as I bowed my head. "Thank you."