21. A Startling Realization

My magical probation might have meant that I couldn't cast any magic or attend any classes, but that didn't mean I couldn't hide out in the library. The best I could do was read the spells I missed—provided by Rhett—and practice the gestures. It felt as though I was back in the academy waiting to turn eighteen so I could cast without supervision, but it was all I could do to not go stir crazy.

"Vee!" Nix approached, his head shinier than usual under the lights. That was surprising. He and I weren't as close as he was to the others, so I never expected him to seek me out on his own. "Rhett said I'd find you moping around in here."

I sighed and continued reading.

"You're not even curious as to why I'm here?" Nix said, plopping into one of the seats at the table.

"I'm sure you're about to tell me."

"We have an adventure planned."

An adventure? No, thanks. I had enough adventure to last a lifetime. "Pass."

"Trust me, Vee, you'll wanna see this. It's right up your alley."

Damn him for rousing my curiosity. "What is it?"

A triumphant smile lifted his cheeks. "A secret. Come on. They're waiting on us."

"You realize that whatever it is, I can't cast magic, right? Lacroix will lock me up with anti-magic cuffs. His words."

Nix snickered and slapped the surface of the table. "Don't worry. We're not going anywhere dangerous. I can't tell you what it is, though. Naomi and Rhett are working out the plan."

"A plan?" I said, immediately suspicious. What sort of adventure would require a plan?

"Please don't make me spoil the surprise," Nix whined.

"Fine." I closed the book I was reading and stood, leaving it on the table. "If this is a prank, it will end poorly for you. I will retaliate, anti-magic cuffs be damned."

"Trust me, Vee," Nix said, his grin sliding into place. He wrapped an arm around my shoulder and guided me to the door. "I would never prank you."

My response was a sigh. That didn't reassure me at all.

"No violent reaction or witty one-liner?"

I could feel his eyes and the weight of his unvoiced thoughts. He was worried. I shrugged his arm off my shoulder. "Stop looking at me like that. I'm tired. They drained my magic, remember?" It wasn't a lie. I was experiencing many of the symptoms of magic sickness, primarily exhaustion and a lack of focus. The worst of it was gone, thankfully, but my magic-emptied bloodstream made my limbs feel heavy and my core cold.

"Yeah." Nix pointed to a classroom ahead. "Don't worry. It's literally right there."

"Oh? Is it literally?"

"Shut up, Vee."

My lips curled with satisfaction.

The destination was Professor Moore's classroom, but he wasn't there. Naomi and Rhett kneeled around a couple of books and round cushions.

"About time you two got here," Rhett said, grinning at Nix and me.

Nix threw himself on a cushion beside Rhett. "I had to lay on the Neven charm to get her here."

Naomi giggled. "I don't believe you."

"What are you two doing?" I asked, stopping behind Naomi for a peek at their books. They were opened to a section on Minor Planes, particularly having to do with Wardens—or entities that guarded each realm. "Tell me you're not trying to go back there."