8. That Which Remains

My shrill scream filled the night air as I plummeted to the rooftop below. It wasn't a long drop, but it felt like one of those nightmares where you're falling out of bed. Except, I didn't jerk awake in a fright.

The moment I got close enough to the rooftop, I cast Push, hoping to stop my momentum and land with as little damage as possible. It didn't work. The knock-back flipped me up and over the roof toward the quad. That was a much longer drop.

My body froze with terror until someone grabbed me from behind. I smacked into the stones of the building with a crack and a scream. Something broke. My shoulder blade, but that was okay by me. The ache was manageable and I wasn't falling any longer. I grabbed at the arm around my middle, relieved to find it connected to the body of Lucien Lacroix.

"Did you really throw yourself over the edge?" he hissed, his hand sticking us to the wall. Useful spell. I'd have to learn it as soon as possible.

"They . . . They killed the headmistress."

"I know. You were to remain hidden, Miss Tate."

He knew? Was this all part of some sick plan? "They knew I was there—"

Lucien leaped away from the wall, yanking me into his arms, and landed without harm. It was a different story for me. I groaned as the bones in my shoulder jostled against him and bit back a few choice words.

"I will heal you in a moment." Lucien lowered me to the ground and took the letter opener, sliding it into his pocket. "And I will hold on to this."

"Where is everyone?" My body trembled as I glanced around the empty quad. It wasn't that late. The sun was down but the lanterns burned radiantly. Usually, at least stragglers were passing through the quad on their way to the dorms.

"Ward alarms were triggered. They trapped students wherever they were to keep them safe as we rounded up anyone in the open."

After my bone cracked into place, the warmth of his magic on my shoulder felt soothing. Slack with relief, I couldn't help but notice the tree. It was dead. Leaves piled on the ground around us and the branches were all curled in and rotten. Floating in the air at a height that suggested someone had once been hanged, a blue rift twisted.

"Professor," I said, squinting. "Is that—"

"Remnants. Yes."

My brows shot upward as I wheeled my stare to him. "You see them too?"

Lucien shook his head. "It was discussed. With the headmistress gone, her wards are gone, too. They were hidden, before. It will be some time before they are hidden again."

"Oh." I frowned, my gut twisting as I wondered how many Remnants I would see around the campus in the coming days.

"Look down. Relax your eyes."

I did as he said and he took my jaw in a gentle hold. His thumbs lifted my eyelids one at a time. I winced as they felt like they were being ripped off, but didn't pull away. He was probably making sure I didn't have any needles. As curious as I was, I knew he wouldn't tell me about that if I asked.

"Very good. You're safe."

"Hold on," I said, pushing the collar of my torn turtleneck aside while shielding the scar on my neck. "What is this?"

Helping me to stand, he buttoned my coat until the mark on my chest was hidden. "Do not show that to anyone. It is a curse, of sorts, but not a bad one. I will explain another time."

I took a shuddered breath, both angry and afraid. How could a curse be anything but bad?

"Our enemies are close, Miss Tate." Lucien laid a guiding hand on my back as a pair of uniformed figures approached. "I will protect you at all costs, but trust no one else."