45. The Real Threat

Through the tear in the tent, I saw the other professors floating in some sort of blood traps. It didn't look painful, but they were frozen in motion. The wards keeping the library sealed were broken and I had no hopes that my professors would break free on their own. My attention turned to Killian as he crouched in front of me, examining the damage.

"Sorry, Vera, this wasn't what I had planned," Killian said. His red eyes met mine and he shrugged. "I intended to win you over, but once I figured out that Tedric was up to something I had to make some changes."

Win me over for what? As much as I wanted to ask, I didn't get the chance to. He grabbed me by my coat and yanked me to my feet, pulling me flush against him. I screamed as my hip jostled and pushed against his chest.

"Vera!" I turned my head to see Rayna Suarez. Ugh, Goddess, what was she doing here? Couldn't she tell a bad situation when she saw one? She eyed Killian, her expression tight with uncertainty. "Let her go!"

"A friend of yours?" Killian said, his arm falling around my lower back.

"Are you stupid," I said, shoving all of my weight at him like I could knock him over in my state. "Get out of here!"

His laughter bellowed in my ears as Rayna reluctantly heeded my advice. "Your friend is just a fly on the wall. I wouldn't bother to hurt her. You'll be coming with me, though. We have much to discuss."

Like hell. I clawed at his face and cast Shock. A pop of electricity burst from my fingers and carved into his eyes.

He reared back, his hold loosened, and yelled in agony.

At his distraction, I broke free. That injury would give me a little bit of time to do something. I didn't know what, though. I hopped away as he healed himself, ignoring his demands that I come back. Each step ached, but I paid that little mind as I hobbled to the leg of the tent to steady myself.

My best shot was to try and get one of the traps opened. I'd done a little bit of blood magic, so surely it wasn't impossible. With a deep breath, I abandoned the tent's leg and moved toward the nearest trap. It was Sakura Ishida. I chanced a look at Killian to see him climbing to his feet, his hand glowing over his face.

"You're making this needlessly difficult, Vera. My proposition is going to save you!"

I didn't believe that for a second. Tentatively, I pressed my hand against the wall of blood and grimaced as it wet my palm. Open? Nothing happened. I placed the other hand against it, resting on both feet the best I could, and dragged my hands through the wall and out like I was trying to tear through it. Break, open, do something!

The blood prison collapsed to the floor, splashing on my legs, and Sakura swung forward. She fell to her knees, panting. I crouched beside her the best I could in my state. "Professor!"

"I really wish you hadn't done that, Vera," Killian yelled.

Blood rose from the ground and wrapped Sakura's neck. She grabbed at her throat, fingers sliding through the blood with no effect. Her eyes turned to me and she mouthed run, before she started to draw a ward beneath her.

"I suppose a lesson is in order!"

"Stop, please, I'll cooperate!" I shrieked at Killian. For a moment, I thought he'd accept my offer. Then I heard a snap. Sakura collapsed into me, taking us both to the ground. I sat up, mostly on one side, and whimpered as her head fell limp, a fan of hair floating within the blood.

"No!" Tears blinked free and rolled down my cheeks as hatred boiled in my gut. In his eyes, there was nothing but indifference. He was a monster. One way or another, I promised myself, I was going to kill him.