53. Double Trouble

It was the middle of March.

The snow around the school had melted for the most part and Spring break was less than a week away. Because of this, I sat in Tedric Halsey's office. Just me. Rain pattered softly on the glass and the fireplace, which had been erected on the right side of the room, was alight with a flame that kept the room perfectly toasty. He wasn't in when I arrived, so I had no idea where he was, but his doors opened and allowed me entry. If I'd known he was going to keep me waiting, I would have brought the book I was borrowing from Lucien.

As it were, I hadn't even gotten half-way through the thing. In the past few weeks, I tried to focus on my studies in preparation for the exams. Between spending my days with friends, pestering Lucien with curiosities, and delivering mail, there wasn't enough time for extra reading.

In all, though, things had been uneventful. That made me anxious. My expectations had me looking over my shoulder with an itchy sense of paranoia. I wasn't displeased that Lauvet's daughter had backed off, only suspicious. Maybe she was frightened and biding her time, or maybe something much worse was in the works. Neither of those scenarios pleased me.

When the doors slid open, I craned my torso around for a peek. It was Tedric Halsey and a pair of Council officers. They were the same two from the night Haywood was slain. Interesting. I felt the need to stand, so I did, and faced the group.

"Ah, good. You're here. Vera, I'm sure you're wondering why I've called you in." Tedric gestured to the officers. "These are the council officers assigned to us for the Spring Formal."

The fact that two council officers were being used for a school dance filled my heart with pity. I was sure they'd rather be anywhere other than babysitting a bunch of college witches.

The woman among the two offered me a hand, which I shook. "Good seeing you again, Mrs. Lacroix. We'll have your back the entire evening. I only ask that you don't try and sneak away."

Oh, no. "Nice to meet you." I studied Tedric. "Are you assigning them to me or the dance, sir?"

"To you, of course." Tedric grinned, pleased with himself. "Your matriarch, Kieran, wouldn't take no for an answer, and I have to admit the idea is fantastic! That girl will be too frightened to come anywhere near you and my dance will be a success. Win-win. You're free to go, officers. Thank you for your time."

The two officers offered their own farewells and took their leave. When the doors shut, Tedric faced the window. "Let's get down to business. For the dance, we'll be using the courtyard. It's going to be stunning. I'll need you today and Friday. For now, go and visit with Christine Waters. She and some others will be heading into town to pick up some supplies."

"Sure. I don't have to go to the dance, do I, sir?"

"I had a feeling you'd ask that. And no. You don't have to go," Tedric said, nodding at the quad. "But you should drop-in, at least, to see the fruits of our efforts."

If my presence weren't mandatory, there was no chance of me dropping-in. Even less a chance if I had to dress a certain way. Keeping that tidbit to myself, I joined him at the window. The tree at the center was reborn into a massive wisteria of the brightest purple. "What if it rains, sir?"

"Worry not, the forecast suggests we're in the clear. If, by some miracle, it does rain, my ward specialists have a plan. It shouldn't be a problem."

"I'll leave then."

"Safe travels, Vera."

The doors slid open and I took my leave, leisurely descending the stairs. As I entered Christine's classroom, I found Nix sitting with his hands folded atop a desk and I couldn't help but wonder how he got roped into all of this.