55. The Trial of Trust

Mayhem was the best word to describe the state of my dorm. It was a mess. Nix and Rhett were getting ready in the seating area while Naomi, Blake, and I were in our room—dresses tossed about and shoes everywhere. I had no idea why Blake owned so many dresses, but I figured she had somebody new to impress because she was practically glowing with excitement as she drew her eyeliner on. Naomi wore a new purple dress, which I thought would look lovely under the wisteria tree.

The idea of going to the dance filled me with nausea and made my heart tighten, but Naomi and Rhett were downright insistent I at least stop in. Riddled with indecision, I stood before the mirror in the emerald dress, the satin feeling cool on my skin. The gown lacked the puffiness I expected it to have, and a matching choker, courtesy of Naomi, hid my scar perfectly. Since it was long enough, I wore shorts and sneakers underneath. I absolutely refused to go without them. The only thing I was uncertain of was the mark on my chest-bone.

A fist beat on the door and we had all but five seconds before Nix threw it open. "Please say you're ready now."

Naomi threw a shoe at the door, forcing him to shut it. "You can't just barge in, what if we weren't dressed!"

"But you are dressed!"

"That's not the point," Blake joined in, dropping her hands to her hips as she rose. "What would you have done if one of us had been indecent?"

"But it's been hours," Nix whined, shoving the door open again. He flashed a grin. "You look like goddesses. The room, however . . ." He whistled.

Naomi grabbed another stray shoe and tossed it at the door. "Get out!"

"Okay, okay!" Nix slammed the door shut, his steps fading down the hall with a mumbled complaint.

Exhaling a deep breath, Blake faced me while tossing a bag of makeup on the floor. "Want me to do your hair?"

I pulled my hair into a ponytail. "This is fine. I won't stay long."

"Suit yourself."

"We should get out there before Nix comes back," Naomi said, giggling as she yanked her heels on. "He will come back."

"This is going to be so much fun," Blake opened the door and skipped into the hall, her heels thumping on the carpet. It was nice seeing her in such high spirits. "A night to remember!"

Lifting Lucien's book from my bed I tucked it under my arm. It would be a great opportunity to get some reading done so long as the others didn't try and make me stay. Not that I would consider it. School dances were notoriously awkward for people like me. Besides, Lucien was waiting.

On my way out, I shut the door and joined them in the seating area.

"All right, you doofuses." Blake looked all of us over from the door. "Have fun and be safe. I have to go find my friends. Save a dance for me."

We said our farewells and went separate ways. Naomi and Nix walked ahead of Rhett and me, too absorbed in their own world to notice how fast they were walking. Meanwhile, my two council officers trailed behind us, offering a false sense of privacy.

"The sneakers are a particularly elegant choice."

Laughing, I smacked his arm. "Don't make fun of me. I was hoping no one would notice."

"Oh, Vee. Your horrible fashion sense is what makes you, you. Take smaller steps as we get closer."

"Your suit looks nice," I said, taking in his outfit while adjusting the book. It was heavy enough to feel awkward to carry. "With any luck you'll find a nice witch to dance with. Something tells me Nix and Naomi will be distracted."