28. Run away, little girl!

Going all the way back to the dorm felt like a waste, and since I told my friends I would be at the library, I figured I should at least drop in. The door was unlocked. The librarian was absent. I considered leaving, but figured if it came down to it, I wouldn't be in trouble if they found me snuggled up with some books.

It was strange, though. I'd never been in the library when it was so dark and so quiet. Most of the candles had been put out, all save the ones at the front table, and the moon was in such a position that it didn't shine much light in through the high windows at all.

I grabbed a candlestick and skulked through tall shadows when a tapping noise broke the silence. I stilled for a listen. It didn't come again, but something about it gnawed at me. Shivering, my hold on the candlestick tightened as I moved forward.

A quick series of steps padded against the tiles. Something inhuman.

My breath caught in my throat. I stopped. What was I thinking going anywhere while my attacker was still out and about? To make matters worse, they would know exactly where I was because I held a beacon for the world to see. I inhaled a shaky breath, unable to muster the courage to blow the candle out.

The noise came again. Behind me.

I twirled around, squinting into the darkness, and waved the candle. Nothing. I whipped around fast, mentally prepared to punch my attacker in the throat. Nothing, still. I exhaled. Was I being paranoid?

A creak and a groan filled the air. My heart slammed against my chest as I spun to face the bookshelf. It moved closer. No—it was falling! I ran, my shriek drowned by the books slapping the ground like a waterfall, some even smacking me before I could clear the way. The wood groaned and cracked as it hit the next shelf. The others would surely fall like dominoes. I didn't stop running until I got to the long table at the library's front.

A terrible figure stood before me. Lauvet Brodeur. She leaned against the front desk with a wicked grin. A growling noise came from behind me. I spun around and waved my candlestick at the creatures that approached. They were gray and long, almost human—Shades. I stumbled toward the table.

"Stop!"

The Shades stopped where they were, sitting with their limbs sprawled.

Opportunity was opportunity. I crawled up onto the table and faced Lauvet, flinching as the last shelf of that row slammed somewhere in the back. "What do you want?"

"You're certainly a brave one, jumping from the tower like you did," Lauvet said, rounding the table while watching me with her red eyes. Her hands dropped to the heads of each Shade as she stood behind them. "I must apologize for my daughter's rash actions. She's spoiled, you understand? Wants everything and wants it now."

"Kids," I said, voice quivering. "What can you do?"

"Exactly." Lauvet sighed, hands sliding to her waist. Her figure shrunk some as she curled inward. "I hate what I have to do to you, you know? You're spunky, and I like that in a witch, but you make my plans so much easier."

I slid my feet to the ground on the other side of the table, inching myself closer to the door. "What plans?"

"I'm going to give you a head start. Run. Get to safety if you can." Lauvet leaned down and curled a hand beneath the chin of one Shade. "My Shades are going to chase you, Vera. They're going to hunt you and they're going to kill you. I don't even think our dear, Lucien Lacroix can save you, but he might . . . if you're fast enough."

"You want me to get to him," I said angrily. It was so obviously her intent, and the fact that she intended to kill me if I failed was likely a bluff. That said, I didn't have the courage to call her on it.