49. Special Delivery

Thunder shook the school as an onslaught of rain, ice, and lightning ruled the skies. The only upside of the weather was that it put a damper on the festivities of Valentine's Day. Not to be a scrooge, but I was happy to have a solid reason to curl up with a book and tell everyone to go away. With a book titled, The Power of a Name, I sat in a chair by the window of the mailroom, occasionally peering out when lightning struck the wards.

The book was a decent source of information. Combined with what I read about making deals with men who considered themselves devils, I was developing a growing fear over what Valdis might do with my name. Names granted the power to other witches in an old way that valued honor. The power to invoke. It was so old, the common examples were dueling or a call-to-arms seen around the Crusades.

If I were still Vera Tate, I might not care, but I wasn't Vera Tate any longer. Plucking at the collar of my sweatshirt, I wondered what Valdis intended to do. Either way, the moment he invoked my name, Lucien would know I spoke to him at least once—and even worse—that I gave him my name.

I was screwed.

A knock sounded at the door. I waved it unlocked and it opened. Five members of the student council stood in the doorway, and I only knew it was them because of the brass pins on their robes. That, and they were being led by Jessica Garcia, the president of the student council.

"Morning," Jessica said, flashing a smile that failed to meet her eyes. I had the distinct impression she didn't like me, but I couldn't be fussed about it because I didn't like most people, myself. "Thanks for sorting all the orders for us."

"Sure." On my feet, I set my book on the table and gestured to the filled boxes. "The boxes are sorted by floor and the letters are grouped by dorm. Because of space, I had to group the gifts in separate boxes, but none of you should have to go to any dorm more than once if you're efficient."

"Perfect, thanks. Our freshmen recruits will be handling the deliveries, and if they give you any trouble you can come to me." The mentioned freshmen looked a little rigid in her company, shuffling their feet and eyeing the boxes like it was a tremendous undertaking. At least there were four of them.

"All right."

Jessica bowed her head and spun around to leave, but stopped at the door as it opened on its own. "Oh. Good morning, sir."

It was Lucien Lacroix. Goddess, why was he here? I glared to keep my face as neutral as possible. The freshmen sent curious glances in my direction.

"After you, Miss Garcia."

"Thank you, sir." Jessica glanced at me, a sort of embarrassed smile on her face, and waved. "Happy Valentine's Day."

I could have screamed. Instead, I bit out a cool, "You too."

The other four freshmen giggled between themselves, standing awkwardly to the side as Lucien passed. He paused at the table before speaking, "Are the four of you waiting on an invitation to work?"

That kicked them into gear. Scrambling forward, they argued amongst themselves on who would deliver to which floor and then shuffled from the room, each of them with armfuls of letters. I released a gush of air and grabbed the edge of the table. At least they were only freshmen and not grumpy seniors.

With a wave of his hand, Lucien shut the door and stared at me. "Our enemies may strike today. After the deliveries have been completed, you are welcome to spend the day in my company. If you intend to spend the holiday with your peers, please be extra cautious."

For a moment, fear crawled into my heart. Lauvet's daughter did seem more comfortable trying to kill me when everyone was distracted with events and such, but the idea of spending Valentine's Day in Lucien's company had me nervous. It wasn't going to be like a date, right? I shook my head. That was ridiculous. Besides, a murder attempt was a significantly larger threat to my person.