42. The Value of Friendship

When Lucien returned to the tiny office, he came with two steaming mugs. Tea, I was sure, by the earthy smell. I wrapped my hands around the offered cup, enjoying the warmth that spread into my fingers.

Lucien sat in the other chair, crossed his legs, and rested the mug on his thigh. "Mr. Collins informed me you were missing. He was rather distressed."

My eyes grew wet at the mention of Rhett. I tightened my hands and forced the tears at bay. I had no intention of crying, specifically not in front of him. Sniffling, I feigned disinterest. "I guess he told you what happened?"

"He did. I understand why you feel hurt."

My gaze snapped to him as my breath caught. He stared at the other wall, providing me all the privacy I might need if I were to shed a tear or two. I rubbed at my eyes. "You don't think I'm being childish?"

Lucien pulled a handkerchief from his pocket and offered it without looking. "Feeling hurt is not limited to children."

My mind may not have been made up about Lucien Lacroix, but it was moments like that where I wanted to throw caution to the wind and trust the man. The fact that he could understand me so easily was simultaneously terrifying and calming. Taking the handkerchief, I pressed it to my eyes, the tears falling much too easily, then.

Minutes passed in quiet until I was able to stop the tears and my runny nose. Feeling awkward, I raised the cup to my lips and took a sip. It was stronger than the last time I tried it, but not terrible.

"Do you intend for your friendship to die?"

"I haven't decided." I lowered the cup, sniffling still, and watched the ripples in the liquid settle before flicking my stare his way. He remained unmoving, his gaze still fixed on the wall. "What do you think?"

Lucien's response came fast, like he'd been thinking it already, "Losing a friend will hurt more than forgiveness might."

My heart tightened and I hastily dabbed at more tears that tried to escape. "What if he leaves after I help him?"

"That is the trial of trust," Lucien said, his voice distant. "You can be betrayed at any moment, but that does not make friendship any less valuable."

I drank more tea, swallowing before I could taste it. I didn't have to trust him to know his logic was sound.

"When you have finished your tea, I will bring you to your dorm."

Even after my conversation with Lucien, I needed time to myself

Even after my conversation with Lucien, I needed time to myself. I kept my distance and went back to my routine delivering mail on Saturday and giving my full focus to my studies. By then, most students had made their peace with my situation. The seniors, too, were so busy with upcoming events they didn't have time to worry about anything else. That made my day relatively peaceful.

My only unrest came from Nix Nevin—Rhett's number one advocate. He followed me as I went on my rounds, lingered when I ate in the cafeteria, loomed as I studied in the library, and finally, when I couldn't take it any longer, I locked myself in the dorm where he couldn't reach me.