52. Like a Butterfly

From out of the darkness, a room appeared around me and Fake Lucien was no longer at my fingertips. I stood in a poorly-lit office with a big desk and many tome-filled shelves. The bulky curtains were the same black as the marble tiles, but looked soft to touch. Like Velvet.

Fake Lucien sat behind the desk, his face and body morphing into that of a woman. She was attractive, but a bit older, and held a close resemblance to Lucien. The eyes that stared back were a deep, dark red—darker than Lucien's by far—and dark-brown hair fell in silky waves down her back. I couldn't help but notice the scratch on her forehead was still there, and it still bled.

I took a deep breath, the slight pain in my knees making itself known. "You're Lucien's mother, aren't you?"

"Indeed, I am." The woman preened. "I am Kieran Lacroix. Kneel."

"No." A smug smile pulled at my lips. "So tell me, Kieran Lacroix, have you decided my worth?"

"I cannot believe my son chose such an insolent brat."

"I guess we're both shocked." I turned, nearly falling in the process, to get a look around the room. It was no wonder Lucien was so poised. If the office alone was so gaudy, I could only imagine what the rest of the place looked like. I faced her. "I can't believe Lucien has such a despicable mother."

"Watch it, my sweet." Kieran stood, perching her hands on the desk. "I am your mother, now."

"I couldn't forget." My knees ached as I wobbled forward and leaned on the desk with one hand. Then I thrust a finger her way. "You sent me a package of butterflies—to mock me—and then exposed me to whatever that dust was so you could give me nightmares. So, really, who threw the first punch, here?"

Her chuckle was eerily alike to Lucien's. "Yes, yes. The Fiery Skipper. A suitable name given your disposition and weakness."

"Let's hear it." I leaned forward, mirroring her, and glared. "What do you want from me?"

Kieran said nothing as her stare lifted past me.

"Vera!"

I turned, surprised, and slid to the ground with a squawk of pain as my knees buckled. Ugh. That was embarrassing considering all my bravado. Lucien rushed to my side, his nose scrunched and his eyes hard. Was he angry? He yanked me off the floor.

"My son. You denied me a wedding and grandchildren for years, only to go and bind yourself to the most insolent witch you could find?"

An echo of laughter filled my ears. I lifted my stare to find Lucien smiling. "I see she has given you trouble. You continue to impress me, my wife." He lowered me into one of the chairs and sat in the other, his legs crossed and his hands on the armrests.

Oh, Goddess. I knew he said that just to rile his own mother, but it made my insides stir in ways I didn't like. Annoyed, I peered at the elder Lacroix as she brushed a hand over her forehead to seal the wound.

"I admit, I underestimated her tenacity."

A compliment? Sort of. Pride warmed my chest and squeezed my heart.

"If you were so eager to meet her, mother, you should have gone through me."

"You taught her blood magic," Kieran accused. "That's risky, my boy."

"I did not. She is reckless and clever enough to figure it out for herself."

"Liar. She knew Montre Moi and I can tell it isn't the first time she's turned to blood."

I resisted the need to shrink away from Lucien's inquisitive gaze. "She cast it first. I only copied her on a hunch."

Lifting a hand to his lips to smother his smile, Lucien turned a victorious gaze to his mother. "Is it possible that my own mother taught my wife blood magic?"