9. The Center of a Storm

By morning, no one was privy to anything other than the fact that the headmistress was dead. It was obvious enough by the falling of the minor wards around campus. All the major wards were standing, but with the illusions gone, the school looked decrepit and time-ravaged. The dirty stones and wilted banyan tree were the most obvious indicators. It was enough to end the rumors about my curse and Professor Briggs, as no one could talk about anything else.

After my harrowing night, I intended to feel sorry for myself in the library, but neither Naomi nor Blake wanted me to go anywhere alone. Instead, I took advantage of having Blake nearby as Naomi read a book on clerical magic.

"What do you know about Relocation?"

Blake raised her gaze from her spell-book to examine mine before sighing. "Vera. That's advanced magic."

"Professor Lacroix offered to help me. I thought you might have a concise explanation so I don't have to read this entire tome of pointlessly drawn-out explanation."

Blake reeled back an inch, her eyes wide and her mouth dropping open. "I've never seen him take an active interest in anyone's studies."

"The advantage of having a curse is that people feel sorry for you," I admit, trying to ignore the fact that I could be foolishly believing he was on my side. Glancing at the open page of the book, I shrugged. "That, or it's because of what happened with Briggs. Either way, I'm learning this spell."

Brake grumbled and dipped her chin. She didn't smile, but the tightness in her face let up. "I'll help you, but you should know that you'll never master this before the end of the school year. There are way easier spells to get you out of trouble, you know."

Challenge accepted.

Naomi put her book down as a devious glint surfaced in her purple stare. "Can I listen, too?"

"You two," Blake said, shaking her head. Whatever she planned to say, it died on her lips. She perched both elbows on the table. "It's not an incantation, but the division of labor is like the incantations you'll see in your books. First, rotate the magic around yourself and, in the process, charge a hand-sign. When that's done, visualize and let the charge pull through your pre-spread magic." She made the hand-sign as it was in the book. I checked.

Naomi grinned. "Will you sneak us in some snacks?"

"Funny." Blake shrugged, pushing a blonde bang behind her ear. "But no. I'm not wasting my magic on that."

"Aw. That's too bad."

Eyeing the book, I considered what she said. It sounded so simple when phrased like that, but I didn't want to go see Lucien Lacroix while ill-prepared. What a poor impression that would make. I wanted to ace it, leave, and let him think I was a natural. Considering how dry the book was, though? It felt impossible.

"Hello, ladies." Rhett sat between Naomi and me.

"Hi again, Rhett," Blake said with a pointed look in my direction. "He came looking for you a few times yesterday."

He had? That was news to me. I reluctantly looked at Rhett to find him smirking.

"It's all right. She's dodging me." Rhett leaned back in his chair. "It's a very Vera move to isolate after an incident."

I made a face. He thought he knew me so well, but we spent the previous four years as definitive not-friends. "At least I'm consistent."

"Consistently mean?"

"Annoyed."

"You're calling me annoying, are you? This is why we weren't friends for so long, Vera."

That was not the reason we weren't friends. Never mind why, but my peers alienated me because of my curse. That ensured I had no friends from nine to eighteen. I decided to let bygones be bygones, though, and responded with, "Technically, we aren't friends yet."