18. Fair Game

Out of principle, I refused to wear a costume to the fair. Naomi and Blake were unhappy with my choice, but I wasn't alone. I was relieved, actually, when we met Rhett and Nix at the school's front. Rhett wore casual clothes.

"You two are boring," Naomi said, arms crossing. Her fake tail swung behind her as she swiveled and a bell chimed from the collar on her neck. A pair of furry ears poked out from her flowing locks making it obvious that she was supposed to be a cat.

There was a small group there, also waiting for the bus. I noted that the majority were in costumes.

"At least I'll have Blake."

Blake grinned and bat her red eyes at Naomi. I couldn't tell if it was perma-magic contacts or one-time-use but as far as eye enchantments went, they made her vampire costume all the more convincing. Her hair, too, was colored to black and suited her even more than her usual blonde. Gone was the sapphire pendant she usually wore, and in its place was a choker with a pretty ruby charm. "You sure do. The costumes are my favorite part."

"Don't forget about me," Nix chimed in.

"Yeah," Naomi said disinterestedly. "What are you dressed as, anyway?"

"A crystal ball." Nix gestured to the purple tablecloth that hung to his elbows like a cape and turned so we could see the back of his head. It was painted with a vision of a misty festival in glass and it didn't look half bad.

Blake giggled. "I like it."

"How'd you paint the back of your head?" Naomi asked, inching forward for a closer peek. It was a valid question. Even I was a little curious.

"I have many talents."

"He painted it in the mirror." Rhett crossed his arms. "It's surprising. I didn't think he had a lick of talent in him."

"You know, Vee, you could have at least worn casuals," Nix said, draping an arm around my shoulder.

"You're heavy." I pushed him off. "Stay off of me."

"If I were lighter, could I lean on you?"

I smirked. "No. I'd just say you were bony."

"Well, I'm not going to read your fortune."

I snorted. I definitely didn't need him to read my fortune. Knowing Nix, it would be something ridiculous.

"Oh?" Read me mine," Naomi said, offering a hand.

Nix took it, gently, and rubbed it between his. "If you play your cards right . . . Romance. I can see him! Handsome. Bald. Freshman. The letter N comes to mind."

"That would probably be for no," Blake said before throwing her head back in laughter. Naomi cackled too, leaning against Blake while wiping tears from her eyes. Their laughter, to me, was funnier than the joke, and I couldn't help the smile that formed.

"Blake!" Nix whined. "How could you do this to me?"

Rhett rubbed his forehead. "Lay off the charm, it's embarrassing."

"The girls love it."

Naomi breathed deeply, still grinning from ear to ear, and shrugged. "Not this girl. Try harder."

"Ask and you shall receive, Kitten."

The bus squealed to a stop at the curb and we piled in. I could see the festival lights in the windows as we descended. It was a secluded affair, tucked into a clearing the size of a small town. There were colorful tents, most of them enchanted and twisting with lights. At the entrance, the bus stopped and the doors opened.