57. Being Strong

There wasn't a single visit for the remainder of the night. Unable to sleep, I spent the entirety of it sitting against the headboard, plotting. My plan was flawed and terribly risky, but it was all I could come up with and it would have to do. I only worried that Lauvet was too smart to be taken down in such a manner.

The start of sunshine was on the horizon as the doorknob twisted and the door creaked open. It was Killian Rhodes. He flashed a smile and dragged his hand through his silver locks. "Good morning, Vera.

There was nothing good about it. Despite the situation, I was tired, annoyed, and very hungry. Starvation was a cruel tactic deserving of death.

"Have you considered my offer?"

"Yes," I said, a bitter edge to my voice. "I have a counter proposal."

"Oh?" Killian approached as confident as could be and sat on the bed beside me. "Let's hear it."

"I'll give you your prize," I said, thinking about what I was really about to give him. Somehow, I found the courage to meet his crimson stare. "But I have conditions."

The flash of intrigue was impossible to miss. Hook, line, and sinker. Killian's lips curled upward. "Name them."

"You don't kill me."

"I never intended to. What else?"

"Lauvet. Kill her and bring me her head. Then we're square."

"So bloodthirsty." Killian chuckled, rubbing his hands together. For a long moment, he remained quiet. In contemplation, probably. Then he nodded. "I suppose I can speed up her death. Fine. You have a deal."

He approached the bed, pinky extended and lips curled upward. "Make it official."

Technically, nothing I had said would compromise me. Hopefully. With a deep breath, I curled my pinky around his. Magic twisted from our fingertips and settled around our wrists with a tingly warmth. Then it was gone.

"There we are," Killian said, his smile growing. "I'll be back in a moment."

Body shaking with excitement, I waited until the door was shut before I rolled out of bed. He bought it! Now for the trap.

The first step, was the decoy. I positioned a pillow on the bed and slid my dress off, uncaring of modesty—not that anyone was around. Setting the dress atop the pillow, I yanked the covers over it to make it look like I was wrapped in the blanket. Good enough.

Step two? The trap. Tip-toeing across the room, I turned the creepy sword display so that it would be most lethal when my trap was triggered. Considering the display had swords pointing in all directions, it was pretty lethal no matter what. Done.

The third step was probably the worst. I approached the dresser and yanked it open, stealing one of the shirts inside. I pulled it over my head and then tugged my arms through the sleeves. At the least, I was dressed.

My hands curled into fists and I said a little prayer. This was going to be painful. I slammed the thumb side of my hands on the thick, wood surface of the dresser. I barely managed to contain the scream. The tears, though, fell freely. Sniffling, I slid my mangled hands from the shackles and clipped them open to be resized.

The trap was ready. All I had to do was wait. I hurried behind the door, into the shadow of a tall plant, and crouched. With any luck, Killian would lumber into the room like an idiot and I'd be good to go. Hopefully.