39. An Enemy Appears

Being such a frequent visitor to the infirmary, I may as well have had a special bed with my name on it, but this was a different experience. Flesh pains weren't like broken bones. It was worse. Or maybe I just wasn't used to it. Either way, my arms burned with such pain that I broke out in a sweat despite being soaked to the bone.

My shoulders shook as Killian set to work, the soothing coolness of his magic sinking deep beneath the burns. Strangely, I felt nothing on the surface—not even his touch.

"It's the nerves that make this hurt like it does," Killian said, his gaze firmly set on my arms. "I'm healing those first, and I'll work my way out."

I nodded mutely.

The doors flew open, slamming into the walls, and a trio—my trio—burst past the threshold, driven by wild panic. How they knew I was there, I had no idea, but it made me happy enough to lessen the pain. Briefly. As Killian spun to face them, his magic flickering out, the pain stabbed up my arms with a reignited fury. I curled inward and dug my nails into my palms, biting back the whimper that threatened to escape.

"Out!" Killian yelled, gesturing them to go. "You've seen her. She's alive. Now get out."

All three of them filed out, shutting the door softly behind them. My lips curled into a weak smile knowing they were right outside the door trying to listen.

"Sorry." Killian laid his hands over my arms, his magic easing the burden immediately. "You did a real number here. How did you end up like this, anyway?"

"Bad ward skills," I bit out, taking a deep breath. "My exam was switched, I guess. I think it was Lauvet's daughter, must have switched them when the papers scattered."

"This has gotten out of control." Killian's jaw tightened as he shook his head. "I swear. I want to scream at Lucien. You've nearly died, what? Four times? And he still allows you to stay."

What an awkward pickle to be in. I didn't want to place myself in the middle of their feud, but I did have a wealth of respect for Lucien. I flexed my fingers, relieved to find some the intensity lessened. "He says without the wards or, um, a purpose, Lauvet would kill me."

"His cousin has gotten in twice. Her daughter routinely tries to kill you for who knows what reason. Somehow, we can't find her and we can't stop Lauvet. Vera, if I were Lucien, I would take you far away. Somewhere she couldn't find you. The fact that he hasn't?" Killian tutted. "Well, I won't say."

I cocked my head to the side, chewing on my bottom lip. What was he implying? He did that the other time, too. "Say it."

Killian's red gaze lifted to me, his brows pinched and his lips set in a frown. "It could be bias, speaking, but isn't it strange? He took to you from the start. Didn't you notice? The way he followed after you? Aren't you worried that this," he waved at me, dropping his voice to a rough whisper. "The marriage, the attacks, word getting out to the papers . . . It's almost like he did it all on purpose."

Taking a sharp breath, I turned from him and tugged my hands away, the pain instantly returning but still not enough to drive me out of my shock. What a thing to say. I needed space. I needed to think. His accusation came out of nowhere, and yet? I shivered. It wasn't out of the realm of possibility.

"I know you trust Lucien more than anyone else, but I've known him a long time. No one gets the jump on Lucien Lacroix. At the least, he knew what Lauvet was up to and he let it happen."

"No," I said, closing my eyes. "Please, no more. Fix my arms."

"I'm sorry." Killian's magic sank into my arms. "I know it hurts, and you're scared, but think it over. You may not trust me, and I am at fault for scaring you off, but please know my early attempts to befriend you had a single ambition."