32. Mums the Word

Big-city witches might deny that Hillfort, Maine was a city at all, but it was by technicality. That's where I was born and raised. It had a majority population of witches, but there was a random sprinkle of Mundane within the towering evergreens. Thankfully, their numbers were small. Small enough that I didn't have to worry about the laws of protection regarding the Mundane.

We pulled down the long driveway to my parents' house, which appeared smaller than it was due to the compact design of the old Victorian. It stood complete with a turret and a wrap-around porch. The subdued colors of the bricks paired well with the white trims and simple, black shingles.

The driver pulled to a stop at the house's front and exited the car.

"I should warn you," I said from beside Lucien, earning his full attention. "We're very Mundane."

"That is no problem."

My door opened. I unbuckled my seat-belt, surprised the driver would go so far, and climbed out. "Thanks."

Lucien exited next and handed the driver an envelope. "Acquire lodging for the night."

"Yes, sir." The driver shut the door and slipped the envelope into his vest pocket.

"It's not too late to run," I said, staring at the black door at the top of the narrow stair.

"That is ridiculous. Lead the way."

Ridiculous? He had no idea what manner of ridiculous awaited him. Grudgingly, I climbed the steps. The door swung open on its own and Mom stepped out, her lips parting into a massive smile as she approached. She engulfed me in a crushing hug and squealed in my ear. It took only a moment for her to pull away with a scrutinizing stare.

"Have you been eating well? You've put on some weight."

"Mom!" My cheeks burned as I glanced awkwardly at Lucien. "Not now, please."

"Oh, of course!" Facing Lucien, Mom giggled and wrapped her arm around his. "Forgive me. Welcome to our home, please come in." I followed after, trying not to think that she was happier to see Lucien Lacroix than her own daughter.

The door clicked shut as I leaned upon it, mentally preparing myself for the chaos that would follow. I turned my gaze to the staircase on the right side of the hallway. My colorful imagination suggested I hike the stairs and climb into bed, allowing the pieces to fall where they may. It gave me a snicker but Goddess only knows what my mother would tell Lucien if I were absent.

Crossing the creaky hallway, I turned left into the living room. The opened curtains allowed the gloomy light from outside to splash over the dark walls. Lucien took a seat fully at ease on the modern, red sofa beside Mom. Dad sat in an arm-chair.

Sinking into the other chair, I slid my shoes off and pulled my feet up so I sat crisscrossed.

"This is all so shocking," Mom said, giggling into her hand. She looked from him to me and back. "Oh, you would be surprised to hear how adamant she used to be against marriage. With her curse, my husband and I always worried how she'd get on by herself. We attempted to, um, make arrangements but they never held up—"

"Mom, I doubt he wants to hear about this."

A phony smile slid over Lucien's usually stoic exterior. "Please, speak freely."

What was he doing? I sank deeper into the chair, forgoing my posture, and dropped my face into my hands.

"Oh, so charming." Mom giggled. "Our Vera is so independent and driven. Never one for friends or romance. That she relies on you at all speaks volumes in your favor."