22. He's a Keeper

The Archive Library was off-limits to everyone but seniors, professors, and alumni. It was positioned on the lower side of campus, beyond the quad and further down into the valley where the paths turned to old stone. All the staff and residing alumni stayed down there, living in cozy cottages tucked within the forest on one side. The library was on the other side, a momentous building with a domed ceiling of glass and iron.

Rhett and I approached a fountain where Naomi and Nix sat, and my eyes followed the trail of scorch marks that circled around a handful of Remnants. As much as I wanted to look inside and see what happened, I figured it wasn't worth the headache.

"Finally," Naomi whined, lifting a sheet of paper. "We got some info from Blake! Apparently, the archives have like, no wards."

"Blake?" That piqued my interest. "Is she okay?"

"I guess so. She seemed a little shaky, now that I think of it. Ended up casting Relocate to get to the dorm. Did something happen?"

Rhett and I shared a look. Poor Blake. I really had no idea what happened in the classroom, but I hoped she would be all right. Clearing my throat, I said, "No."

"Anyway, I figured two of us could do the sneaking, and the other two could distract the attendant. We only need to sneak by the sign-in desk and we should be okay," Naomi said.

"This feels like a bad idea." I nibbled on my lip and clutched the book to my abdomen. "Why don't we just ask if they'd allow us to examine the list of keepers? I'd rather not get expelled."

"Oh, right." Nix grimaced. "Good point. Haywood said we could be expelled for stuff like this."

"Toughen up," Naomi said sternly. "We need to catch the attacker. If we do this, they won't kick us out. Guaranteed."

My ears warmed. "But if we tell them we're doing a voluntary project related to keepers, they might just let us see them. Then there's no need to worry."

"That can be our distraction." Naomi pointed to the building. "But there's no way they'll let us see it, no matter our excuse."

"Fine."

"Well, sneaking is my forte," Nix said, rubbing his hands together with a massive grin on his face. "Who's going in with me?"

I wanted to ask why that meant he should go in, out of everyone, but I was stopped as Rhett nudged my arm.

"Vee, you should go. I'm worried it will get back to Lacroix that we're poking around if you're seen here. Naomi and I can be the distraction."

Was sending me into the fire an act of valiance? I was inclined to say no. I felt like a sacrifice. I glanced at Naomi to see her lips pursed until, finally, she nodded.

"He's right. I wanted to see it myself but, here." Naomi handed me the paper. It was a map of the archives. She pointed to the room marked with an x. "You want to go to this room, upstairs."

"A map? How'd you even get this?" I asked.

"I have an in with the student council." Nix dusted his shoulders off. "Jessica had it laying around. She said I could keep it, but if we get caught, she knows nothing."

The student council president? That was surprising. I didn't take her as the type to, well, break rules. Not to mention, how could he be sure she wouldn't say anything? Hopefully she didn't know I was involved because I was almost certain she hated my guts and that made me mildly suspicious. "And you think Lacroix will find out because of me?"

"Rude," Nix said, hands perched on his waist and his chin raised. "I'm here for you, you know."

"Let's get this over with."