40. When it rains...

My old tendencies returned full force as the desire to isolate myself grew. Being uncertain of who I could trust frightened me. The situation with Blake reminded me why I shouldn't have friends, and it had me prepared to lose the others before they left, too. My gut screamed at me that Killian was wrong. My gut whispered that Lucien Lacroix could be trusted. But maybe my gut wasn't working like it should be. What could I do if Lucien had his own agenda, anyway? Run? A fat lot of good that would do me.

"Vee? The new room is down here, remember?"

Glancing at Rhett, and broken from my stray thoughts, I shook my head and crinkled my nose. "I'm not going to class with him. I need to talk to Moore, anyway." I started up the stairs, earning a sigh as Rhett followed.

"There's no way he's going to let us stick around."

"We'll see."

The new Spirits professor for freshmen was Howard Costillo, an older gentleman that walked with a cane and said sweet things to almost everyone he crossed paths with. Everyone but me. We met a couple times, and the only greeting I received was a hasty, Mrs. Lacroix and a tip of his hat. I knew when I wasn't wanted.

When it came down to going to Spirits class, I'd rather sit in with Professor Moore's class, anyway. He made it memorable. I took up a pillow. Rhett did too. The moment Garth came in, he gave a flamboyant swing of his arm.

"I see we still have some freshmen. No trouble. This week's objectives are to learn Detection. You'll find the instructions in your textbooks. After, I recommend learning Sense and perhaps reading up some of the lesser-known planes. As for second years—" He scribbled something on the board and turned, face grim—"You'll be revisiting Echolocation. When you retrieve one of the objects I've hidden in the room, you're free to go. Seeing as many of my students struggled with their exam, this year, it may take you the entire period."

A dim mood fell over the class as they spread about to do their thing. Rhett and I stayed where we were. The fact that Garth just called out his own students gave me a snicker, though. There must have been some exam fails over the week.

"Vera. Mr. Collins. I'm rather surprised you did not attend class with our latest professor." Garth approached while rubbing his chin. "Yes, yes. He is an old master of the Spiritual Arts. A fine replacement for Briggs."

"I'd rather be here, sir," I said, smiling conspiratorially. "And I have a question about my intuitive abilities."

Garth's eyes widened and he rubbed his hands together with the delight of a child in a candy shop. "Indeed, indeed. Let's hear it."

"Headmaster Halsey says I should have instincts," I said, glancing around to make sure the others weren't listening too closely. "I don't feel it. At all. I was wondering if there was a way to, um, force it out?"

"Intuits are all so different in how and when they awaken their abilities," Garth began, his grin replaced with a contemplative frown. His eyebrows pinched together as he crossed his arms at his front. "Your abilities will come when they are ready to manifest. To force them out, as you say, I can't recall ever reading of such a thing. Have faith, Vera. They will come as fate wills it."

I sagged my shoulders, disappointed, but nodded all the same. "I understand. Thank you, sir."

"Of course. And I'm always happy to have the two of you in my classroom. Now go on and give your new spells a try. I'll be in my office if you need me!" Garth departed with a twirl, his robes swinging around him as he bounced energetically toward his office.

I smirked at Rhett. "What was that about this never working?"

"Ugh. Shut up, Vee," Rhett said, rubbing the back of his neck.